Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welsh and Irish records

Hi

Where can I go online to look for possible parish records for the above? For Ireland I need both north and south

Many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Findmypast is best for welsh parish records. Also irish parish records are free on their website. Ancestry has them too, but you must pay.

Comment

Thank you. Haven't had any luck with ancestry so will try FMP
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

There's this one I use alot now

This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Just been blocked ....

Monday, 7 May 2018
          IrishGenealogy.ie appears to have been hacked
          The state-managed IrishGenealogy.ie appears to have been hacked. If you try to reach the site, you'll receive a message saying you've been reported, and blocked, for suspicious activity.

As it's a public holiday in Ireland today, it may not be until Tuesday that the techies start to correct the problem.
          Posted by Claire Santry, Irish Genealogy News
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Blimey, page was OK when I posted!
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
              Hi

Where can I go online to look for possible parish records for the above? For Ireland I need both north and south

Many thanks
              For Irish records you need to be more specific about what it is you are looking for. The records are not all on one site. Catholic parish records are on a different site to statutory births etc. The censuses are on a different site to Griffiths Valuation. And so on. Some records are not on-line at all. If you are looking for say Presbyterian baptism or marriage records in Northern Ireland you may need to go to PRONI in Belfast in person. It all depends.

So if you spell out what it is you want to know, ie names, dates, locations, denominations, then we can try and help you.
              Last edited by Elwyn; 07-05-18, 22:30.
              Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                Just been blocked ....

Monday, 7 May 2018
                IrishGenealogy.ie appears to have been hacked
                The state-managed IrishGenealogy.ie appears to have been hacked. If you try to reach the site, you'll receive a message saying you've been reported, and blocked, for suspicious activity.

As it's a public holiday in Ireland today, it may not be until Tuesday that the techies start to correct the problem.
                Posted by Claire Santry, Irish Genealogy News
                She's updated as of 21.45 today:
                John Grenham has come to the rescue to advise that it's only the home pages that seem to be playing up.
                If you use this link: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....vil-search.jsp you'll find you can get access to the records with no problem.

Christine
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Apologies for not getting back sooner. I have distant grandparents Patrick Hanley and his wife Mary Anne Mcgreavy (surname spelled in various ways) both born c1845. In the 1911 England census, Patrick states he is from Kilmallock in limerick and Mary is from castle wellan in county down. They married in Wicklow in 1867, Patrick's father is listed as Patrick and Mary's was Hugh.

As for the Wales side, I'm looking for a John Phillips who was born c1789 in caernarvonshire in Wales and married in Liverpool in 1813. Unfortunately he dies before the 1861 census So I don't have much to go on, and with a name like that I think it's probably impossible!!
                  Robyne

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
                    Apologies for not getting back sooner. I have distant grandparents Patrick Hanley and his wife Mary Anne Mcgreavy (surname spelled in various ways) both born c1845. In the 1911 England census, Patrick states he is from Kilmallock in limerick and Mary is from castle wellan in county down. They married in Wicklow in 1867, Patrick's father is listed as Patrick and Mary's was Hugh.
                    Statutory birth registration didn’t start in Ireland till 1864 so you won’t get birth certificates for Patrick or Mary. Prior to 1864 you need to rely on church records, where they exist.

Kilmallock is in the RC parish of that same name (civil parish of St Peter & St Pauk) and it’s records start in 1837. The RC parish records are on-line free on the National Library site:

Castlewellan is in the RC parish of Kilmegan. Unfortunately they have no baptism records earlier than 1853 so it seems unlikely that you will find any trace of Mary’s birth or baptism. You haven’t said what Hugh McGreavy’s occupation was (it should be on the marriage certificate) but I did search the 1829 tithe applotment records for Kilmegan. The only family of that name listed then was John Magreevy who was farming in Clarkill (which is around Castlewellan lake). There was no Magreevy family there buy the time of Griffiths Valuation in 1863.

One of the things to bear in mind with the name McGreavy is that the spelling is likely to vary. So you need to consider McGreevy, McGravy, Macareavy and so on. All are the same name.

Statutory death registration started in 1864 and Castlewellan is in the Downpatrick registration area. I searched from 1864 to 1890 and saw 4 possibles: Hugh McAravy died 1874 aged 77; Hugh McGreevy died 1872, aged 71; Hugh Magreevy died 1868 aged 71 & Hugh McGreevy died 1864, aged 1864. You can view the original certificates on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 (sterling) to a view a certificate.

Few RC parishes keep death/burial records so if Patrick Hanley senior or High McGreavy died before 1864, there may not be any documentary record of that.

Death records for Kilmallock, 1864 onwards, are on the irishgenealogy site. I searched Kilmallock registration area 1864 – 1890 but did not find a single Peter Hanley, so possibly he died prior to 1864.

This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.
                    Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Wow thanks so much!!! the Mcgreaveys are in Liverpool in 1871 and Hugh is a coal miner, however i cant see them after 1871 in the UK so not sure if he died/moved etc. Ancestry puts his DOB around 1821
                      Robyne

Comment

Working...
                      X