Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maria Cross my 3rd great grandmother

Hi everyone

I am trying to find a death for my 3rd great grandmother, her name is Maria Cross and she was born approx. 1869 in Mangotsfield, Bristol/ Gloucestershire area. Her parents were John Cross and Elizabeth Hendy.

She married Victor Charles Green in 1887. They had 8 children together (all boys).

I've got quite a bit of info about Maria but cannot seem to find a death for her! However, I did find a death for a Maria Green and thought it was correct but it does not seem to add up, this is the death that I found:

Name: Maria Green
    Death Age: 89
    Birth Date: abt 1869
    Registration Date: Mar 1958
    Registration District: Bathavon
    Inferred County: Somerset
    Volume: 7C
    Page: 98

However, I found Maria's husband, Victor, on the 1939 Register, living with one of their sons, and Victor is widowed. So Maria can't have died in 1958! I have not been able to find any other deaths that match. I have also tried finding Maria on electoral roll registers and can't seem to find her after 1920.

Is anyone able to help me or point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance

Georgia x
    Georgia Mae Simeone

Just because her husband said he was a widower doesn't mean he was, of course. They may just have gone their separate ways.

When was the youngest child born?

OC

Comment

Ah yes, I never thought of that. The youngest child was born in 1904.

Georgia
      Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

According to 1911 census the family is at 16 Oaklands Estate, parish of Mangotsfield and Victor and Maria had been married for 23 years and had 9 children in total by then, 7 living, 2 deceased. 6 are with them in the census.

Comment

The children I have for Maria & Victor are:

Charles Henry Green, William Green, John Thomas Green, Henry Green, Victor Green, Edward Green, Frank Green & George Green.
          Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Just checking you did look at the 1939 Register image and not just the transcription? I have seen quite a lot of wrong transcriptions of marital status. I think the problem was to do with the 'line by line column by column' way the transcriptions were done.
            Also I agree with OC ..... he could have been economical with the truth!
            Anne
            Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 06-05-18, 22:49.

Comment

Her birth was registered in 1869. I still have not found a good death certificate match but she was still alive and with her husband in 1919. Married women got the vote in 1918 and Maria is on the electoral register for Mangotsfield in that year and in 1919 but she is not on the 1920 register. So either she has died or she and Victor have parted.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiasimeone View Post
                The children I have for Maria & Victor are:

Charles Henry Green, William Green, John Thomas Green, Henry Green, Victor Green, Edward Green, Frank Green & George Green.
                There was an earlier John Thomas 1890 - 1891
                Frank is the other one missing from 1911 census. He died in 1903.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 06-05-18, 23:02.

Comment

Maria is not in the home on the 1939 image. Head of household is Victor jnr. and his wife Ada, then a closed record, then his brother William and finally Victor snr. who is shown as widower.

Comment

There are 3 private trees on ancestry which have Victor Charles Green 1864 - 1951. Could you perhaps message them to see if they know of a death date for Maria?
                    Shearman Family Tree / Nichols Family / Tarry_family_tree

The first two also come up with Maria Cross as spouse.

There are three public trees with Victor and Maria. Two do not have a death date for Maria, the other has put the 1958 one that you mentioned at the start. It is Flint Family Tree. No image though so no idea if they are just guessing.
                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 06-05-18, 23:33.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      There was an earlier John Thomas 1890 - 1891
                      Frank is the other one missing from 1911 census. He died in 1903.
                      Ah I did not know about the other children. Thank you for that!
                      Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                        Just checking you did look at the 1939 Register image and not just the transcription? I have seen quite a lot of wrong transcriptions of marital status. I think the problem was to do with the 'line by line column by column' way the transcriptions were done.
                        Also I agree with OC ..... he could have been economical with the truth!
                        Anne
                        I’ve just looked back at the 1939 register image and there is a ‘W’ in the maritual staus column.
                        Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

I have been in contact with all 3 of those private trees! And they either have the same original date of death that i found or nothing at all. I have contacted most people on ancestry who have trees and they do not know either! It’s a mystery!

I’m not sure if this Info is any help but... Maria Cross is my 3rd great grandmother, Edith Maria Green’s grandmother (which makes her my great grandmother). Edith used to pronounce her middle name as “Mariah” and always said that it was pronounced like that. I have just been thinking and I wonder if Maria was actually a Mariah??
                          Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

What does her signature on marriage say or on any of her children’s birth certificates? Hopefully it was not an X.

Comment

I know from my own research that the electoral roll can be a year or so out of date, so that narrows her death/disappearance down to 1918/19 really.

It is possible she was in some kind of institution. I think I would be tempted to send for that death cert just to rule it out.

OC

Comment

Keynsham would be reg dist for Mangotsfield. what about this one? b c 1869
                                GREEN, HANNAH MARIA 51
                                GRO Reference: 1920 S Quarter in KEYNSHAM Volume 05C Page 557
                                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X