help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please

I am looking for George Sewell he married Esther Quilter in 1868 and I have both of them on the 1871, 1881, 1891, and 1901 census returns, in case you wish to look 1871, p 1660, f 20, page 6. It was easier to look for Esther's name than George, she was born abt 1848 in Essex.

I am trying to find George with his parents but not having any luck, his YOB on the census returns are 1845 or 1846 and mostly states born in Essex, one census shows West Hanningfield. I have looked on the GRO birth index for the years 1844 to 1848; I found five George Sewell's two born in Dunmow, one in Chelmsford, one in Stock and one with no name at all so it has not helped much. I used the maiden names and searched with Sewell and the only hit I got was for a marriage Henry Sewell to a Sarah Stock but that did not help.

Before I give up has anyone got any ideas that I might have missed or can you find him?
    GWEN

Could this be George?
    1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
    West Hanningfield, Chelmsford, Essex, England

George Saveall Head Married Male 29 1822 Ag Lab Writtle, Essex, England
    Maria Saveall Wife Married Female 28 1823 - Essex, England
    Henry Sewel Servant - Male 8 1843 Scholar London, England
    George Sewel Son - Male 6 1845 Scholar Essex, England
    William Saveall Son - Male 3 1848 At Home Essex, England
    David Saveall Son - Male 1 1850 - Essex, England
    Samuel Cooper Brother-In-Law Unmarried Male 21 1830 Ag Lab Essex, England

edit: on the image Henry is son not Servant. Wife and Children all born West Hanningfield except for Henry born Charlotte Street, Lambeth
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 02-05-18, 20:25.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

1861- Pay Borems Lane, Rettendon, Chelmsford
      George Sarell Head Married Male 40 1821 Agricultural Labourer Writtle, Essex,
      Maria Sarell Wife Married Female 37 1824 - West Hanningfield, Essex,
      Henry Sarell Son Unmarried Male 17 1844 Agricultural Labourer West Hanningfield, Essex,
      William Sarell Son Unmarried Male 13 1848 Agricultural Labourer West Hanningfield, Essex,
      David Sarell Son - Male 11 1850 Farmer Boy West Hanningfield, Essex,
      Ada Sarell Daughter- Female 8 1853 Scholar West Hanningfield, Essex,
      Charles J Sarell Son - Male 5 1856 - West Hanningfield, Essex,
      Walter Sarell Son - Male 2 1859 - West Hanningfield, Essex,

Piece: 1078
      Folio: 14
      Page Number: 5
      On Ancestry the name is transcribed as SASELL

Found George Junior:

1861 West Hanningfield Piece: 1078 Folio: 90 Page Number: 1

Name: George Sewell
      Estimated Birth Year: 1845
      Relation: Servant
      Where born: West Hanningfield, Essex, England
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 02-05-18, 21:14.
      Kat

Comment

From 1851 census a Samuel Cooper is BIL so assume George's wife is Maria Cooper. The only marriage for Cooper/Sewell that I can see is to a Mark Sewell/Maria Cooper in Lambeth Dec 1841 -Henry was born 1843 Lambeth. A possible:
        SEWELL, HENRY mmn COOPER
        GRO Reference: 1843 J Quarter in SAINT SAVIOURS UNION Volume 04 Page 455
        St Saviour and Lambeth Reg Districts border each other
        Kat

Comment

SAVEALL, DAVID mmn Cooper
          GRO Reference: 1850 M Quarter in CHELMSFORD Volume 12 Page 57
          SAVEALL, ADA mmn COOPER
          GRO Reference: 1852 S Quarter in CHELMSFORD Volume 04A Page 101
          SAVEALL, CHARLES JOHN mmn COOPER
          GRO Reference: 1856 M Quarter in CHELMSFORD Volume 04A Page 135
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 02-05-18, 22:19.
          Kat

Comment

Marriage as post #4 Mark Sewell/Maria Cooper in Dec 1841 Lambeth 4 291

Deaths Dec 1844
            SEWEL Mark Lambeth 4 225

Dec 1846 Marriage
            Saveall George Chelmsford 12 73
            Sewell Maria Chelmsford 12 73
            Kat

Comment

I wonder if this could be George's birth as he was born after the death of Mark but before Maria's marriage to George. Although Mark could still be the father - I'm not sure how that would be recorded as the father was not there to confirm.

SEWELL, GEORGE - no mmn
              GRO Reference: 1845 J Quarter in CHELMSFORD Volume 12 Page 58
              Last edited by Katarzyna; 02-05-18, 22:50.
              Kat

Comment

Mark Sewell was 32 when he died so born 1812.
                Kat

Comment

I suppose gettig a copy of george and esther's marriage might be useful for father's name and occupation.

Might prove the right family.

Comment

Thank you for all your help; the person I am doing this for said all the family came from Essex, Rettendon way and the previous generation George/Esther proved that.
                    Like you I did search for a Sewell/Cooper marriage but came up with one in Nottingham which I obviously discounted. When I searched the GRO birth index for the kids on the 1851 census the only birth under Sewell I could find was Henry Sewell in 1843, Saint Savoury Union, which I think (not sure) is a work house in London. I did find the George Sewell birth's registered in Chelmsford that had no mothers Maiden name and I did think it was the one I was looking for and wondered why. I did not think to look under Saveall I just thought it was a Transcription error. that will teach me lol. I think I will ask my friend if she pay for a certificate to prove this is right family. Thanks once again for all your help it is very much appreciated.
                    GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
                      Thank you for all your help; the person I am doing this for said all the family came from Essex, Rettendon way and the previous generation George/Esther proved that.
                      Like you I did search for a Sewell/Cooper marriage but came up with one in Nottingham which I obviously discounted. When I searched the GRO birth index for the kids on the 1851 census the only birth under Sewell I could find was Henry Sewell in 1843, Saint Savoury Union, which I think (not sure) is a work house in London. I did find the George Sewell birth's registered in Chelmsford that had no mothers Maiden name andI did think it was the one I was looking for and wondered why. I did not think to look under Saveall I just thought it was a Transcription error. that will teach me lol. I think I will ask my friend if she pay for a certificate to prove this is right family. Thanks once again for all your help it is very much appreciated.
                      So did I Gwen Kylejustin's suggestion of getting the marriage cert for George and Esther is the way to go.
                      Henry was born in Charlotte Street, Lambeth (See 1851 census) now known as Union Street. All counties were divided up into Poor Law Unions. The registration district does not mean it was the reg district for a workhouse.
                      Kat

Comment

sorry but I cannot see the age of death on his death details am I being thick/
                        GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
                          sorry but I cannot see the age of death on his death details am I being thick/
                          found it sorry
                          GWEN

Comment

Working...
                          X