Theatrical/ Music Hall Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theatrical/ Music Hall Help

Hi all, This is my first post and hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction, during my research into ancestors iv found 2 who were in involved in theatre it was suggested to me by genealogist to look into theatre records, which is easier said than done as iv got no idea where to look or what theatre they might have been in, is this a needle in a hay stack search as i can't pin them down to one particular are in England, the father is listed as musician i know he was a bugle major in army but i don't think he would be playing a bugle in a music hall..i have had a look into records in London theatres which only give famous music hall personalities..
    Id be vey grateful for any ideas on putting me on right path.. Cheers

Welcome to the forum AmyS, you will find some links to British theatre sites in our Reference Library here. There are various historic newspaper sites such as the British Newspaper Archive which you can search for free but would need a subscription to view the full article. I have found a number of my theatrical folk there.

Comment

The British newspaper section of Findmypast has just recently added The Stage to their collection.
      I think their collection has the same coverage (someone correct me if I'm wrong though) as the British Newspaper Archive. No point shelling out for two separate subs!

Even if you don't have an active FMP sub, you can still search and see preview sections to see if investing in a sub would be worthwhile.

Christine.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Try Googling their names ..... you might be lucky and get a link to them
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

This might be useful

lots of links on the page, including the papers as mentioned
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hi Amy.
            my great grandparents were also in the music halls . Their names were Atlas and vulcana. champion athletes . Kate Williams was Vulcana s birth name . atlas roberts They were around the music halls and the variety theatre s. I know around the time of Dr Crippen as it was them and others who alerted the police to belle Crippen s disappearance. Maybe there may be some links with yours and my ancestry. look them up on net and you may find other bits to help you . Good luck in your search

Comment

Working...
            X