How to create a private tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create a private tree

I'm currently working on some sensitive info and the records are building up. Can I create an entirely private tree. Ancestry shows some info. Not sure about FMP. Thanks

Vera

Wouldn't it be best to create the tree using a genealogy program on your own computer rather than online? Then you would be sure of its privacy.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

In the privacy settings there is a box you can tick but there is a proviso: "Note: although your tree will instantly become public or private, it usually takes about a month or more to be reflected in the search index."

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
        Wouldn't it be best to create the tree using a genealogy program on your own computer rather than online? Then you would be sure of its privacy.
        That sounds good. Can you suggest one please?
        Vera

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
          In the privacy settings there is a box you can tick but there is a proviso: "Note: although your tree will instantly become public or private, it usually takes about a month or more to be reflected in the search index."
          I've checked Ancestry and although I can create a private tree, some basic info is still shown. The mother's name is unusual. Thanks

Vera

Comment

or Tribalpages is very good

Comment

Thanks. I will look into those Val. Seem to remember having my tree on My Heritage way back. Tribal pages looks good. I will check their privacy settings.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                Looked again and see that I can tick box to ensure nothing comes up in search as you said Jill. Will omit surname in the first instance. Thanks

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                  That sounds good. Can you suggest one please?
                  Vera
                  There are several. I use Family Historian. Think it costs about £40 to buy nowadays but you can download a 30 day free trial to see how you get on with it. https://www.family-historian.co.uk/d...e-30-day-trial
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                    I've checked Ancestry and although I can create a private tree, some basic info is still shown. The mother's name is unusual. Thanks

Vera
                    Somewhere within those settings is also a part that omits everything from ANY search. [as well as the bits that Jill just mentioned]

at the bottom of the box there is another 'tick box' that says 'Also prevent tree from being found in search index'
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                      There are several. I use Family Historian. Think it costs about £40 to buy nowadays but you can download a 30 day free trial to see how you get on with it. https://www.family-historian.co.uk/d...e-30-day-trial
                      Thank you Judith. Have signed up for free trial.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                        Somewhere within those settings is also a part that omits everything from ANY search. [as well as the bits that Jill just mentioned]

at the bottom of the box there is another 'tick box' that says 'Also prevent tree from being found in search index'
                        I can only see the two settings ie Private Tree and Prevent being seen in any searches. Both ticked and Tree not showing when I search a name.

Vera

Comment

I’ve a funny feeling that if you search for someone in a tree that you have on your account, you don’t ever find yourself or the people in it as results. You would need to get another account holder to use their account to search just make sure.

Comment

have sent you a pm Vera
                            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Yes, the penny has just dropped on that one. Thanks for alerting me.

Vera

Comment

Kat has tested it out for me. Nothing revealed. Opting for a Private Tree and ticking the Prevent being seen in any searches has worked. As pointed out changes may take one month to kick in but this was a new tree.

Thanks everybody.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                X