1851 scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1851 scotland

Does anybody have the actual images of 1851 census? I am sure I must have looked at it before but the image doesnt appear on ancestry. It is an Alexander McKerrow I am interested in but the transcription gives him as Alexr McKerrow aged 15. The household he is living with causes some confusion!!
    My uncle had scribbled something about a half brother and this is where I believe it comes from, as he is listed as son in 1851 census living with a James Dickson at Craigburn Douglas Lanarkshire. He goes onto have a son called James Dickson McKerrow, There is also a Walter Dickson aged 22 at the same address so assume this is the half brother. Does this mean that the wife of James Dickson on 1851 census is the mother so she would be a Margaret McKerrow married to James Dickson?
    I also believe this is the Walter Dickson mentioned in Castle Dangerous by Sir Walter Scott. I did hire the book from the library but found it hard going as it was written in a shakespearian style..

Any input welcome on this one.

Images for the Scottish census are only available on Scotlands People.
    If you have previously paid to view the record then you should be able to find it again (without paying) under "saved searches".
    Elaine

Comment

James Dickson 50
      Margta Dickson 50
      Elisabeth Dickson 28
      Walter Dickson 22
      Alexr Mckerrow 15
      thats the transcription.
      I suppose really I should be looking for the marriage or maiden name of Margaret Dickson

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        Images for the Scottish census are only available on Scotlands People.
        If you have previously paid to view the record then you should be able to find it again (without paying) under "saved searches".
        I havent used scotlandspeople for many a year so no idea what my log in would be or indeed if I have the same e-mail address

Comment

I am confusing myself!! I have Alexanders mother as Jane/Jean sloan and his father as John McKerrow, a famous draughts player in his day, so even if I found Margaret Dicksons maiden name it might not solve the puzzle, but interesting that Alexander called his son James Dickson Mckerrow, who then became as art master and had a painting in an exhibition in Glasgow.

Comment

This won't help solve the puzzle but have you seen that Alexander was with the Dicksons in 1841 as well?
            Transcribed in Ancestry as:
            70 Janet Mathie 70
            James Dickson 40
            Margret Dickson 40
            Walter Dickson 13
            Mesander Mckerrow 5
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thank you Judith. I wonder who Janet Mathie is? Could she be Margarets mother?

Comment

SP is now free to search, they dumped the 1 credit per page of results when the new platform went live.
                If your Walter was born in Douglas parish, Lanarkshire then he was baptised 13 April 1828, son of James DICKSON and Margaret STOBO.
                Margaret STOBO and James DICKSON married 10 August 1821 in Crawfordjohn parish, Lanarkshire.
                Going by SP and FamilySearch.org Walter is the only child they had baptised. Seven years is a long time to have had only the one child.
                Margaret DICKSON or STOBO died 1876 aged 76 in Douglas reg district. Cert ref no. 641/25
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 01-05-18, 00:44.

Comment

If your Margaret is shown on 1851census as being from Crawfordjohn, then she was actually baptised 6 May 1798, daughter of Alexander STOBO and Elizabeth CALLAN.
                  There was another child of same name to different parents, baptised later in 1798 in Greenlaw, Berwickshire and a younger child Margaret STOBBO born 1805 in Lesmahagow again to different parents if the first one proves not to be yours.

Comment

Janet MATHIE is maybe James DICKSON’s widowed mother. Don’t forget it was very common in Scotland fir women to use their own surname in official documents, especially when widowed.

Comment

thank you for that info. No idea how Stobbo is connected. There is another child on the census under the Dickson name, Elisabeth.

Comment

I am just wondering if they simply 'adopted ' Alexander McKerrow as I do have another one in Scotland that actually says 'adopted' on the census but I dont think it was a legal or documented adoption.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                          I am confusing myself!! I have Alexanders mother as Jane/Jean sloan and his father as John McKerrow, a famous draughts player in his day, so even if I found Margaret Dicksons maiden name it might not solve the puzzle, but interesting that Alexander called his son James Dickson Mckerrow, who then became as art master and had a painting in an exhibition in Glasgow.
                          Scotlands People has a baptism that fits those parents. Perhaps one or both died or for some other reason couldn't look after Alexander.
                          MCKERROW ALEXANDER JOHN MCKERROW/JEAN SLOAN FR807 (FR807) M 23/07/1835 parish number 641/ ref 30 105 Douglas
                          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thank you judith. Just looking at dates and they didnt marry until april 1835 so she would have been 7 months pregnant at that time as Alexander born June 1835. John was often away playing draughts!! I dont have a death date for Jean/Jane Sloan and not sure when John married Christina Aitken

Comment

Know that this is really years after these posts, but, 2 children were born to Jean Sloan and John McKerrow, William and Alexander. On William's death registered in Lanark it lists his mother as Jean Simpson. Further investigating I discovered Jean and John's death certificates and Jean's shows her married to David Simpson, registered by William, John's lists both Jean and Christina Aitken as his wives. Also tried to find a record of a divorce having taken place, cannot find that. So a mystery as to how they both managed to remarry.
                              Last edited by mmaciocia; 18-09-23, 10:55.

Comment

ON the census, according to the census recorded on MyHeritage for 1861, Alexander is living with his grandmother Margaret in Cowcaddens Street, Glasgow. Having checked John McKerrow's parentage, he was the son of Alexander McKerrow and Margaret Alexander, and the people in the census match the family details:

Household
                                RELATION NAME BIRTH
                                Head Margaret McKerrow Circa 1788
                                Son Alex McKerrow Circa 1819
                                Grandson Alex McKerrow Circa 1836
                                Lodger Donald McNeil Circa 1837
                                Lodger Alex McNeil Circa 1843
                                Granddaughter Jessie McKerrow Circa 1852
                                Name Alex McKerrow
                                Gender Male
                                Birth Circa 1836 Douglas, Lanarkshire, Scotland
                                Residence Apr 7 1861 Glasgow, Barony, Lanarkshire, Scotland
                                Address Cowcaddens Street
                                Age 25
                                Marital status Unmarried
                                Occupation Artist Painting

Comment

Hi mmaciocia I didnt know you were on here, I did get your message on ancestry and still a bit puzzled by all of the McKerrow/Dickson/Sloan/Simpson mix. lol

I recently visited Douglas Castle and it prompted my brother and me to purchase a copy of Castle Dangerous by Sir Walter Scott as it is said to contain some story lines relating to the Dickson family. Not got very far with the book but Thomas Dickson was a well trusted servant of Sir James of Douglas.

I think there are multiple marriages and multiple pregnancies to work out to understand who belongs to which line.
                                  Last edited by Darksecretz; 19-09-23, 06:45. Reason: adding @ to username to tag.

Comment

Originally posted by mmaciocia View Post
                                    ON the census, according to the census recorded on MyHeritage for 1861, Alexander is living with his grandmother Margaret in Cowcaddens Street, Glasgow. Having checked John McKerrow's parentage, he was the son of Alexander McKerrow and Margaret Alexander, and the people in the census match the family details:

Household
                                    RELATION NAME BIRTH
                                    Head Margaret McKerrow Circa 1788
                                    Son Alex McKerrow Circa 1819
                                    Grandson Alex McKerrow Circa 1836
                                    Lodger Donald McNeil Circa 1837
                                    Lodger Alex McNeil Circa 1843
                                    Granddaughter Jessie McKerrow Circa 1852
                                    Name Alex McKerrow
                                    Gender Male
                                    Birth Circa 1836 Douglas, Lanarkshire, Scotland
                                    Residence Apr 7 1861 Glasgow, Barony, Lanarkshire, Scotland
                                    Address Cowcaddens Street
                                    Age 25
                                    Marital status Unmarried
                                    Occupation Artist Painting
                                    interesting that Alexander is listed as artist painting as that what his son became. Art master at Morisons academy in Crieff

Comment

Working...
                                    X