Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Cawley the regicide

Hello
    I return, after a long absence, with a plea. Is anyone (or do you know of anyone) out there who is doing or has done research into the famly history of William Cawley the regicide (1602-1666)?
    Brian
    Brian
    Avatar: My wife and I with the family "cat".

While I don't know of anyone researching, he was bapt at St Andrew, Chichester 3 Nov 1602, son of John Cawley, gentleman, "Alderman of the said City of Chichester"

Comment

There's an Archdeaconry of Chichester marriage licence 1st June 1599, John Cawley gent of Chichester and Mary Michell of Rudgwick.

Comment

Other baptisms @ St Andrews are
        Elizabeth Cawley dau of John Cawley, gent 4th June 1586
        Jane Cawley dau of John Cawley, gent 13 Apr 1590

maybe children of an earlier marriage
        Last edited by Jill on the A272; 27-04-18, 18:35.

Comment

Have you tried googling to see whether there are any books etc published, as well as family histories.
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Jill and Sylvia
            Thank you very much for your prompt replies. I have already thoroughly researched WC regicide and his ancestors/descendants. My 3g grandmother was a Cawley and her ancestors all lived in the Halton/Runcorn of Cheshire. My dilemma is that the seal WC regicide used to sign King Charles I’s death warrant is in the possession of a cousin of mine and I have other evidence (letters, etc) that clearly indicate that the two families are connected. I have some thoughts on where the connection could be and I am looking for someone with knowledge of WC regicide and his family tree with whom I can discuss/confirm these thoughts.
            Brian
            Brian

Comment

Good luck with your quest Brian, I hadn't heard of him but it has given some more background to my general knowledge of the period. I'll ask on the Sussex Family History Group facebook page for you.
              Last edited by Jill on the A272; 28-04-18, 10:22. Reason: facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                Good luck with your quest Brian, I hadn't heard of him but it has given some more background to my general knowledge of the period. I'll ask on the Sussex Family History Group facebook page for you.
                Thanks again Jill
                I have already sent an email to SFHG asking for assistance
                Brian

Comment

Working...
                X