Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead end with Sands line

Hello,

My Sands line comes from my Grandad. I have traced his mother's family back generations. But his father was about 25 years older than his mother, so I've struggled more with that side. His father's paternal line is Jewish, so that has proved very difficult to trace. And his mother's line - although English and C of E - ends in 1837 for me.

My Grandad's grandma was Mary Ann Sands, born 1849, St. Luke's, Middlesex. She married Benjamin Lipman in 1873, in Mile End, and died in East Ham, in 1936. Her parents were William Sands and Mary Thompson, who married in Clerkenwell in 1837 (just before civil registration began, frustratingly). William gives his birthplace as Manchester, around 1816 or 1817, and he died in St. Luke's in 1863. His wife (I believe) died in West Ham in 1869, where one of her children was living. She gives a year of birth as around 1817 too, in St. Luke's. I have never found a convincing baptism for either.

I would appreciate any information!

Adam

P.S. the family are mistranscribed as 'Sanits' in 1851 but are Sands in 1861. There were a couple of other children other than Mary Ann, but I forget the names.

Also, I've never found any baptism for Mary Ann, so if one does exist and anyone can locate it, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

why does your line end in 1837 "for you"

There are many many records online prior to 1837!!!

you've been given many links to use, including "horrors" GOOGLE.

Are you trying any of these links??
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Believe me, I have tried them all! But 1837 (the marriage) is as concrete as I can find. There's no Manchester baptism that matches perfectly, and no St. Luke's one either :(

Comment

Adam,

I think that the members generosity is wearing thin, you often seem to be asking for more than 'a little help'. Might it be time that you actually subscribed to either Ancestry or Find My Past?

Ancestry do have an offer at the moment for new members. [and I believe that you can also P.A.Y.G on both sites]
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Just for the record:

1) I am 17 years old
            2) I am in full-time education and do not have a job that provides income
            3) I do not have a bank account, credit or debit card
            4) I do not receive any sort of allowance, monthly, weekly etc
            5) I do not have any subscriptions to any services, not Spotify, or any other fee-paying apps or websites

Thanks,

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AdamMcGregor View Post
              Just for the record:

1) I am 17 years old
              5) I do not have any subscriptions to any services, not Spotify, or any other fee-paying apps or websites

Thanks,

Adam
              Adam,
              Assuming you are in the UK - many local libraries offer free access to both Ancestry and FMP when using their onsite PCs.
              Where I live in Lancashire, this includes Ancestry worldwide and FMP (Uk only), not including newspapers, but including the 1939 register.
              I'm also fortunate that there is a local LDS centre within reasonable distance which has pretty extensive opening hours. This gives free access to ancestry and FMP (not 100% sure, but from memory, worldwide and including British newspaper access) plus some other potentially useful sites. LDS opening hours are dependent on the goodwill of volunteer staff, so always worth checking/phoning before you visit. And in my experience, the volunteers are always willing to help/give pointers.
              If you keep an eye on this site, someone usually flags up when Ancestry or FMP are offering free access, at which point you can have a search blitz.
              Another tip: if time as well as money is limited, when using Ancestry Institution at your local library or LDS centre, you have the option to save any images either to the computer (ie this would mean to a USB drive) or to send the image home. This latter option is a real time saver, as it means you can then pore over your discoveries at home and save them to your home PC, plus come up with suitable/consistent file naming conventions so you can easily find your saved records in the future.

Hope this is of some help and good luck.
              Christine
              Last edited by Karamazov; 26-04-18, 08:16.
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thank you. My local library is closing soon, but there is one about 4 miles that I will look into.

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                  Adam,
                  Assuming you are in the UK - many local libraries offer free access to both Ancestry and FMP when using their onsite PCs.
                  Where I live in Lancashire, this includes Ancestry worldwide and FMP (Uk only), not including newspapers, but including the 1939 register.
                  I'm also fortunate that there is a local LDS centre within reasonable distance which has pretty extensive opening hours. This gives free access to ancestry and FMP (not 100% sure, but from memory, worldwide and including British newspaper access) plus some other potentially useful sites. LDS opening hours are dependent on the goodwill of volunteer staff, so always worth checking/phoning before you visit. And in my experience, the volunteers are always willing to help/give pointers.
                  If you keep an eye on this site, someone usually flags up when Ancestry or FMP are offering free access, at which point you can have a search blitz.
                  Another tip: if time as well as money is limited, when using Ancestry Institution at your local library or LDS centre, you have the option to save any images either to the computer (ie this would mean to a USB drive) or to send the image home. This latter option is a real time saver, as it means you can then pore over your discoveries at home and save them to your home PC, plus come up with suitable/consistent file naming conventions so you can easily find your saved records in the future.

Hope this is of some help and good luck.
                  Christine
                  Some VERY good advice there Christine.
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by AdamMcGregor View Post
                    Just for the record:

1) I am 17 years old

Thanks,

Adam
                    All the more reason Adam to take earlier advice to slow down, record findings systematically and look for background information on free sites. Your deceased ancestors are not going anywhere! they will still be there for you to find when you leave school/college and have an income to fund this addictive hobby.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I agree with the wise words of both Christine and Judith.
                      I would add that you can get a lot of useful background information for free, which would enhance individual or family profiles about the lives of people already on your tree. Find pictures of the churches where your folks were bp mar or buried; research the places where they went to school or worked; find out about the places where they lived at the time they were there and get pictures. e.g.Many of my forebears were ag labs, so I've researched farming through the seasons and changes in agriculture 1815 - 1915 and also looked at life in the villages where they lived - Sunday school treats, the village school, railways, church & chapel, the annual hirings. Another lot were miners, so I've investigated the different types of work above and below ground, used maps to plot their different residences etc. What was life like for them in WW2 - rationing, blackout, conscription etc and WW1.
                      When I started, decades ago and long before home computers, I spent hours in local studies rooms at the larger libraries, just absorbing all the resources that were there - filmed copies of back issues of local newspapers, old church magazines, town guides, photos, maps, books people had written about the area, the list of possibilities is endless.
                      Family history, as opposed to collecting a list of names to put on a pedigree, is never-ending and there is always something you can research for free to add to what you know about your individuals.
                      Perhaps you could ask for a tree-making software programme as a birthday/Christmas present, or for a monthly sub to one of the main subscription sites, but check which one would be of most use to your current research needs. Blitz the site, download and save any relevant images as primary sources are so much better than reliance on secondary sources, i.e transcriptions, other people's work, online unsourced trees.

Jay

I would also suggest that you have a good read through the research advice on this site - it is very comprehensive, with lots of links to useful sources of information.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                      X