Final attempt to find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final attempt to find

I have been trying to find the birth and family for George Chipperfield (my gr gr grandfather) for years. This is my last attempt. Here is what I know.
    He was born around 1822. He did not really know where he was born as census show London. St George in the East and Suffolk.
    He married Sophia Frewen in 1847 in Dublin and then came to St George in the East. I am ok after that but it is his marriage and before that is a problem.

I have the marriage certificate that says he is a cabinet maker. His father is George Edward Chipperfield also a cabinet maker.

I can find plenty of Georges but none to match the info given. Also why was he in Ireland???

I would be grateful for your help and if I cant find him it was not for want of trying

Regards Ann

This would tie in with being born in Suffolk, with father's name George:

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

Christine
      Although treat this with caution - I haven't been able to do any cross checking - eg to find him in 1841 census.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

At that time, Ireland was part of the UK and there was much toing and froing across the Irish sea. As he was a cabinet maker, he could well have spent some time in Ireland for work purposes - lots of big country houses belonging to titled people (mainly of English origins or connections) who may well have been doing an interior revamp and had skilled craftsmen over to make custom built/commissioned pieces of furniture.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Possible marriage for George's parents???
          22 Dec 1818 at Sotterley Suffolk, George Chipperfield & Hannah Candler

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

Christine
            This could be the marriage of George and Hannah

George Chipperfield
            Marriage year 1818
            Marriage date 22 Dec 1818
            Marriage place Sotterley
            Spouse's first name(s) Hannah
            Spouse's last name Candler

and George senior Bap.

George Chipperfield
            Birth year 1798
            Baptism year 1798
            Baptism date 02 Dec 1798
            Place Kessingland
            Father's first name(s) Charles
            Mother's first name(s) Mary
            Relationship Son Of
            Parents Charles & Mary
            County Suffolk

Kirkley, Sotterley and Kessingland are all in the same area between Lowestoft and Beccles.
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 25-04-18, 12:46.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Burial
              George Chipperfield
              Age 72
              Birth year 1799
              Burial date 07 Oct 1871
              Church St Edmund
              Denomination Anglican
              Place Kessingland

This George Chipperfield with Hannah is on all the censuses as a butcher :(
              Last edited by Katarzyna; 25-04-18, 13:28.
              Kat

Comment

Thank you all. The info about the men going over to work was interesting and I can understand that. As regards Hannah and George, I think I was unsure about them as the father George was not the occupation that was on the marriage certificate. But that does not mean the info was correct. There is a George age 15 0n the census for 1841 living in Lowestoft but I cant read it very well. The head is John Stanton publican.
                regards
                Ann

Comment

Someone with a tree on Ancestry had added the image of the Kirkley 1820 bp. This record has the father George as a butcher. :(

I don't seem to be able to access this image on familysearch, so am hoping the link from the Ancestry tree works.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

It is always possible that the entry of father's occupation on the marriage cert is incorrect. Sometimes individuals did some bigging up; other times there was misunderstanding of the question being asked and also vicars did make mistakes. He could have simply replicated what he had recorded for the groom just to fill in the box, whilst my friend has a marriage cert where the entries for the fathers' occupations have been transposed.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Oldie View Post
                      Thank you all. The info about the men going over to work was interesting and I can understand that. As regards Hannah and George, I think I was unsure about them as the father George was not the occupation that was on the marriage certificate. But that does not mean the info was correct. There is a George age 15 0n the census for 1841 living in Lowestoft but I cant read it very well. The head is John Stanton publican.
                      regards
                      Ann
                      He is a male servant b in county, Ann.
                      Cannot see him on further censuses though.
                      Kat

Comment

regards
                        Ann
                        I think George is recorded as M.S. - male servant. If he was a skilled cabinet maker rather than just a jobbing carpenter, I would have thought he might have had, perhaps, to serve his time as an apprentice.

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Looks like there are some interesting documents re Chipperfield at the Suffolk record office.

It seems that you can register and then maybe view some of the documents online. This could help sort out some of the Chipperfield families in your area of interest and aid with confirmation or elimination of some of the parties. There are wills, marriage contracts and lots of other stuff to delve into.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I think most can only be viewed at the RO Jay. You can order them to view there, not online. Some wills I have found open.
                            Last edited by Katarzyna; 25-04-18, 15:17.
                            Kat

Comment

I have the marriage certificate that says he is a cabinet maker. His father is George Edward Chipperfield also a cabinet maker.
                              You have the cert, but not the PR? Is there any chance that the PR survives, and can be accessed?

I too have a cert (from Ireland) and the fathers' occupations are incorrect. I think it was a transcription error. Wish I could retrieve the PR.

Comment

The PR entry is online & has the same details.
                                Glen

Comment

If he was already married that surely would make him vague with his POB [trying to hide something?] If it were me I'd be plotting all the Chipperfield's in the areas of interest and seeing then what you have.

not much help, sorry.
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you all very much. I think I will spend the day following all those in the area I am interested in and see what that brings.He may have things to hide. I will also try the Suffolk Record Office
                                    Regards
                                    Ann

Comment

I'm quite interested in this Ann as an Edward CHIPPERFIELD married my first cousin 3x removed in Lowestoft in 1852. He was baptised in Kessingland in 1829. His father Edward is shown on this as an innkeeper but as a butcher on the marriage cert.

I think I have been looking at the marriage certs. of some of the other children of George & Hannah which show George's occupation as labourer. On the other hand there are so many in that area I might have the wrong ones.

I shan't be going to Suffolk again until Sep/Oct but I'd be happy to have a look at the baptism entries of George's & Hannah's other children to see what father's occupation is as I can't see them online.
                                      Glen

Comment

There are some online for the couple and he is an ostler, horse keeper or labourer.
                                        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X