SHIP MANIFEST ENGLAND TO SOUTH AFRICA 1880,s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHIP MANIFEST ENGLAND TO SOUTH AFRICA 1880,s

Hi everyone, James Harris, wife Ellen Mary and sons, William John, Ernest, Henry Arthur and Daniel were in Devon in the 1881 census. Their next child was born in South Africa in 1891.

I need to find them on a ships manifest sometime between these dates, shipping records to South Africa appear to be almost non existent?

Many thanks.
    Toby.

Have you looked on Family Search, or possibly ancestry?
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

FWIW, and helper's assistance as the name is common, this is the family in 1881

Name Age
      James Harris 31 b.ca 1850, Railway Labourer
      Ellen Mary Harris 27 b.ca 1854
      William John Harris 6 b.ca 1875
      Ernest Harris 5 b.ca 1876
      Henry Arthur Harris 3 b.ca 1878
      Daniel Crook Harris 6 months b.ca 1880
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Trying to cut down the time period to be searched because of the apparent long gap between a birth in 1880 and the next one in 1891 ............ the GRO Index has several Harris / Crook births registered in Brentford in Middlesex, all of whom have 2 forenames, which seems to be this family's habit. But only this is shown as Newton Abbot which is where at least 2 of the older children were registered ............

HARRIS, SIDNEY JAMES mmn CROOK
        GRO Reference: 1888 D Quarter in NEWTON ABBOT Volume 05B Page 102

Comment

You might want to check out these baptisms in Devon, all of whom have James, Labourer and Ellen or Ellen Mary as parents. Many of them may have died ..............

William John Harris — 1874 Anglican James Dawlish, St Gregory the Great
          Ernest Harris — 1876 Anglican James Dawlish, St Gregory the Great
          Beatrice Maud Harris — 1877 Anglican James Bishopsteignton
          Henry Arthur Harris 1878 1878 Anglican James Rewe
          Sidney John Harris — 1872 Anglican James Membury
          John Harris — 1879 Anglican James Bishopsteignton
          William Harris — 1881 Anglican James Bishopsteignton
          Daniel Crook Harris — 1880 Anglican James Stoke Canon
          George Harris — 1885 Anglican James Bishopsteignton
          James Harris — 1888 Anglican James Bishopsteignton
          Frederick Thomas Bickham Harris — 1889 Anglican James Bishopsteignton

If all are really your family, then it seems to show that they did not leave the UK until 1889 or 1890.

Comment

Thanks a lot Sylvia! The info you gave me narrows it down, Sidney James in 1888 is almost a certainty, Ellens maiden name was Crook. Dont know about the others, I will check for some deaths. The different locations of the births would fit because James worked on the railways. I will get onto right away!
            Thanks.
            Toby

Comment

Hi Sylvia, I checked the census, Bishopsteignton is a different family. I would say that Sidney James b.1888 looks to be correct, could not find him in 1891, so emigration between 1888 and 1891. However, Daniel Crook was born 1880/1 so a gap of 7 years between them? Still if we can find the ship manifest we will know. Nothing on FamilySearch, I asked a friend who has a sub for Ancestry, she could not find anything, I think that I tried ISTG at some stage as well. Where do we go from here?
              Thanks.
              Toby.:D

Comment

I had a quick look on the eggsa site: http://www.eggsa.org/arrivals/eGGSA%...20Project.html with no luck today, but it is being updated all the time and there are other links given.

Have you done other searches in SA to give you clues? https://www.familytreeforum.com/cont...1-South-Africa
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thks Caroline, I have checked all the S.A. records, also James and Ellen and sons are my grans parents and brothers so I know a fair amount about the family in S.A. i would just like to find them on a ship, Sylvia has narrowed the search to about 3 years but S.A. records are a very slow work in progress!
                  Toby.

Comment

Toby - what was the name of the baby born 1891 in South Africa ? and what district of South Africa please ?
                    Last edited by garstonite; 02-05-18, 08:50.
                    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Sorry! got the date wrong. Alice Maud Harris born Kimberley, Cape, 1893. Then Nelley Harris born 1894 in Krugersdorp, Transvaal.
                      Thanks.
                      Toby.

Comment

Working...
                      X