Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomasine Baylis, later Westcott

Hello,

Thomasine married James Westcott in Exeter in 1811 and died in Upton Pyne in 1840 - mistranscribed as 'Tamazine' Westcott. With such an unusual name, one might be forgiven for thinking that a baptism would be easy to locate! Unfortunately I have had no such luck. A date of birth of around 1782 is given from her burial entry. She was residing in Exeter at the time of her marriage.

I'd appreciate any information,

Adam

So no-one wastes time replicating your search what record sources have you already searched?
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Just FamilySearch so far.

Comment

Have you tried googling some of the names you are researching, adding +genealogy or +family history? Or google a surname and add +name of a village where they lived. Explore the many, many hits you get - yes, many are of no use, but some links are very productive.
        Another avenue to explore are county record office online catalogues in counties of interest. Enter a surname and browse through the hits - I have found the most amazing things by doing this, including transcripts of wills, a photograph of my great-uncle in the main underground thoroughfare of a coal mine where he was an under-manager, references to and details of juvenile court appearances and punishment.

Another avenue to explore, to add meat to the bones, rather than just having a bare pedigree of who begat whom, are old newspapers. These are usually free and on film in the relevant local large town libraries - also available as part of the FMP membership, which you can subscribe to on a short-term basis.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

is it possible Baylis is not her maiden name? could she have been married before.

Comment

Janet in Yorkshire,

Yes, I have tried this method before! The parish records for Trumpington, Cambridgeshire are not readily available to me but a search for one of my ancestors got back to his grandparents via a website that had transcribed records relating to that family. I've searched for this lady and another one with an unusual name but sadly to no avail.

Val wish Id never started,

Yes, I did consider that possibility. I'm not sure if she was a widow or a spinster as of her 1811 marriage. I've searched FamilySearch for 'Thomasine' and 'Baylis' but no results.

Comment

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Possible first marriage for Thomasine? To a man named Baylis and in Exeter.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamMcGregor View Post
                https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N2CH-Q56

Possible first marriage for Thomasine? To a man named Baylis and in Exeter.
                I assume that you have tried all the different spelling variations. I have Baylis in my own tree and you will come across Bailles, Baillis, Baileys and of course Bayliss!
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

this is probably that Pitts baptism

Tamazin Pitts
                  England Births and Christenings
                  Name Tamazin Pitts
                  Gender Female
                  Christening Date 22 Oct 1780
                  Christening Date (Original) 22 OCT 1780
                  Christening Place UPTON PYNE,DEVON,ENGLAND
                  Father's Name Benjamin Pitts
                  Mother's Name Ann

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Just to point out that there is no mistranscription of Thomasine's name in the burial record. It is actually written Tamazine in the register, so it is merely a spelling variation in the original record. The spelling is probably suggestive of how her name was usually pronounced.

scuda
                      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Tamsin/Tamzin is a fairly common Cornish name derived from Thomasine. Not a misspelling, a derivation.

OC

Comment

I think all 3 are unusual names, finding a Thomasine was very difficult as every baptism coming up seemed to be Thomas!

Comment

it doesn't even have to a nmae like Thomasine that can cause problems .........

Hannah is a very common name, but can appear as Hanna, Anna, Annie, Ann etc

You just have to be very open to name alternatives ............ and use the wild card * to replace letters

eg, I would search for your Thomasine as T*om*in* or even T*m*in*
                              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I use this page a lot for English records

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I had a look at this link and put in James Wescott

and you can see their marriage license

Have you found this record?

Says she is a spinster
                                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Yes, I have viewed that record before. But thanks for the link!

Comment

Working...
                                  X