1881 Census Bath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1881 Census Bath

Hi All, I need help, I have a Louisa Speck born 1875ish, but on the 1881 Census she is not living with any relatives that I know of, and is down as a (nurse child) any body have any idea what a Nurse child or child nurse could be.

Robert Purnell

Birth
    Louisa Jane Speck born 4th quarter 1874 Bath Somerset.

On the BMD it says sub district Lansdown mothers maiden name COX
    Last edited by Janet H.; 31-03-18, 15:03.

Comment

I can see a Jane Speck a widow with 2 children older than Louise in Bath.

If this is Louisa's mother it could be she was unable to look after the child and fostered her out for a fee (A nurse child).
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

The 1881 census shows a sister Elizabeth born Reading
        SPECK, ELIZABETH mmn COX
        GRO Reference: 1871 D Quarter in READING Volume 02C Page 330 Occasional Copy: A
        Kat

Comment

Thanks JanetH and Katarzyna, so a nurse child is some one who has been fostered out, or could it mean she is in a children's home ?
          this is very important to me, this girl could be my Grandmother, she was always mysterious, age changed to suit the occasion, when she married in Bristol 1890s she gives her surname as Cox, but did not know her fathers name, I thought she is either lying so she could not be traced or she genuinely did not know, can you see her in any other Census, in 1911 she states she is a British Citizen from Marseille France, all very strange.

Comment

This is her mother Jane on 1871 census I think the grandchildren named Shail are Jane's children. The James Shail could be the James Speck her son on 1881 census There's lots going on here methinks.Will be back after dinner and I expect some others here will have a look too.

1871 https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=try&h=8680230
            Kat

Comment

The following needs further investigation:

Edwin Speck married Jane Shail Q1 1870 Highworth Wilts 5A 13

James Philip Shail married Jane Head or Jane Cox Q4 1865 Highworth Wilts 5A 25
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Edwin Speck is in Northampton on the 1911 Census. He was in a boarding house. He is given as 72 a Boiler Maker and a widower. Army Pensioner born Swindon Wilts.

There is a baptism 7th January 1838 at Hannington Wiltshire to Thomas and Ann Speck.
                He is with them on the 1851 Census (just given as E Speck).
                Edwin died in Northampton in 1912.

His army records are on FMP. He suffered damage to his hearing.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

James Philip Shail born Q4 1844 Swindon
                  baptised 17th August 1845 at Stratton St Margaret Wilts
                  Father Richard, labourer Mother Jane

Married Jane Cox on 24th December 1865 at Christ Church, Swindon
                  She was 18, he was 21.
                  His father was Richard a labourer.
                  Her father was James Cox a milkman.
                  Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 31-03-18, 18:17.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

There is a death for a James Shail aged 21 in Q3 1867 in the Highworth Reg. district of Wiltshire.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Sarah Ann Shaill, mother's maiden name Cox
                      born Q1 1866 in the Highworth reg. district
                      baptised 13th May 1866 at Christ Church, Swindon, father a Labourer.

Not found James yet.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by maesglasssclub View Post
                        Thanks JanetH and Katarzyna, so a nurse child is some one who has been fostered out, or could it mean she is in a children's home ?
                        this is very important to me, this girl could be my Grandmother, she was always mysterious, age changed to suit the occasion, when she married in Bristol 1890s she gives her surname as Cox, but did not know her fathers name, I thought she is either lying so she could not be traced or she genuinely did not know, can you see her in any other Census, in 1911 she states she is a British Citizen from Marseille France, all very strange.
                        Who did she marry?
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

This is Elizabeth Speck's marriage to Frederick Bartlett Glisson on 13th January 1890 at All Saints, Weston (Bath).
                          Her father is Edwin Speck Boiler Maker.
                          She was 18 and the groom 21. He was a tripe dealer.

It looks as though Jane Speck was a witness.
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

Found the marriage to Edwin Speck

St Mark's, Swindon
                            Edwin batchelor 32 boiler maker Cromwell Street father Thomas Speck
                            Jane Shail wid 22 Cromwell Street father James Cox milk retailer
                            marriage witnesses Frances Cox x Miriam Cox x
                            Last edited by Elaine; 31-03-18, 19:23.
                            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

GLISSON, FREDERICK THOMAS SPECK
                              GRO Reference: 1890 M Quarter in BATH Volume 05C Page 612

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

In 1891 Elizabeth is calling herself Bessie and Frederick is Fred. They are boarding.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                                GLISSON, FREDERICK THOMAS SPECK
                                GRO Reference: 1890 M Quarter in BATH Volume 05C Page 612

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

In 1891 Elizabeth is calling herself Bessie and Frederick is Fred. They are boarding.

Frederick Thomas died in Q3 1890.
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:

Comment

Not sure what to make of this:
                                  In 1881 Jane is a widow.
                                  but found this 1881 for Edwin Speck - boilermaker b Swindon, Wilts 1842 with wife Mary and MIL Elizabeth Beck
                                  Kat

Comment

Originally posted by maesglasssclub View Post
                                    Edwin Speck was still alive at that time, so it looks like a bigamous marriage. This might explain the lies.
                                    Elizabeth
                                    Research Interests:

Comment

Kat, Edwin was alive in 1911 - see #8 above!
                                      Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 31-03-18, 19:35.
                                      Elizabeth
                                      Research Interests:

Comment

Perhaps there were two men called Edwin Speck? We need to be careful here!
                                        Elizabeth
                                        Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                                        X