Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coastguard Hayling Island

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help me. My great grandfather, Frederick Aubrey Mitchell (b. 1861) was an HM Coastguard for many years, serving in Ireland & in England. In 1911 (via census records) he was at Burnham-on- Crouch, Essex as a Chief PO. By 1920 he was living on Hayling Island, firstly in a house called West Cottage on Fishery Lane.
    He retired in Hayling, having built a home in Rails Lane, where he died in 1947 aged 86. This house is still owned by the Mitchell family to this day.

My questions are:
    1. What year did he move to Hayling & work as a coastguard there?
    2. Was the house in Fishery Lane (I have a photo) a coastguard house?
    3. What year did he retire?
    Are you able to help me or point me in the right direction to find the answers to my questions.

As I live in New Zealand I am unable to visit museums or archive buildings etc. to find out this information.

Any guidance or pointers will be much appreciated.

Kind regards

June Fynn

Welcome to the forum June, I'm just looking at some newspaper articles on Find My Past, there's one from 1903 where the Admiralty are inviting tenders for the erection of coastguard buildings at Hayling Island - houses to accommodate and Officer and 12 men, outbuildings and a watchtower. Members of my family lived in the old coastguard cottages just along the coast at East Wittering and West Wittering, these were Victorian though, and were in a terrace (not in use by coastguards by the time we lived there)

Comment

Welcome Jan

Hoping you know this part of the family history as there is a newspaper report about his son...killed in action

He is still a coastguard at this time 1916 I think from how it reads
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Elaine; 30-03-18, 22:23.
      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Link to the CWGC with address

Son of Frederick Aubrey and Charlotte Mitchell, of West Cottage, Eastoke, Hayling Island, Havant, Hants.
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

1939 Register
          Frederick Mitchell was born 07 Jan 1862 Occ: Naval Pensioner Retired Married
          Clanletts Mitchell was born 08 Mar 1871 married (Definitely Charlotte on the image)
          They were living at The Beehive, Fishery Lane , Whitehorn Estate, Havant and Waterlooville, Hampshire
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

British Coastguards 1841 - 1901

Mitchell, Frederick A. Born MDX 1862, Location in 1901 - Craster NBL, Family: Wife: Charlotte, 1871, HAM. Children: Thomas F & Charles N & Doris E, 1891 & 1893 & 1895, all IRL; Frank A, 1897, Amble, NBL.

Chapman codes for above :MDX Middlesex, NBL Northumberland, IRL Ireland
            Kat

Comment

Can't see anything else at the moment between 1920 and 1939 , sorry.

HAM = Hampshire - missed that out in above post.
              Last edited by Katarzyna; 30-03-18, 23:30.
              Kat

Comment

From the National Archives Research Guide

Browse and download the Coastguard establishment books and registers in ADM 175, free from our website.

These records are not comprehensive, and their covering dates vary.

They include:

establishment books in ADM 175/1-26 (1816-1918) – you will need to know where the officer was posted
                registers of appointments for England in ADM 175/74-80 (1819-1862); for Ireland in ADM 175/74, ADM 175/99 and ADM 175/100 (1819-1849); and for Scotland in ADM 175/74 (1851-1856)
                record cards for coastguard ratings in ADM 175/82A-84B (1900-1923)
                discharge registers in ADM 175/91-96 (1919)
                discharge records from 1858 to 1868 in ADM 175/102 (1855-1868)
                indexed service registers for coastguard officers in ADM 175/103-107, 109-111 (1896-1929)

Please be aware that these are very large files and only suitable for download on a fast and unlimited broadband connection.
                The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that Ann, hopefully June will have some spare time to browse through. I had a look but as not all indexed it will be hard going.
                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 01-04-18, 22:12.
                  Kat

Comment

Most of their records aren't indexed- just a question of ploughing through! At least the series is available for download, for free
                    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thank you Elaine, I had found that info, it was very sad when I first found it as My Grandad would never talk about his brother Charlie, I finally understood why. Felt sad for his parents & family.
                      My grandfather was born in Amble, Northumberland & his family lived in coastguard cottages there & in Craster. My Mum visited the area in 1983 & photographed these terraced buildings which have been restored apparently.
                      june

Comment

Katarznya,
                        The Beehive was the home that he built for his retirement, it’s actually in Rails Lane. The earlier house West Cottage is in Fishery Lane.
                        Cheers
                        June

Comment

Thank you to all who replied, it looks like some research is needed. Will plough through as & when I can
                          june

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                            Most of their records aren't indexed- just a question of ploughing through! At least the series is available for download, for free
                            I wish they had an index to show which are available to download and view for free. I get lost wondering about in there!

Originally posted by Junejan20nz View Post
                            Katarznya,
                            The Beehive was the home that he built for his retirement, it’s actually in Rails Lane. The earlier house West Cottage is in Fishery Lane.
                            Cheers
                            June
                            There is a West Cottage next door to them here too in Fishery Lane but in 1839 they called their house The Beehive! It's all a bit of a mess with the crossings out and additions to the original and not knowing the area. The Rails Lane in red would have been added at a later date when they moved, probably by someone in the NHS.

F Mitchell.JPG
                            Kat

Comment

I was sent that clip on another site, this site won’t let me view closer but the pic, which I saved, I can see quite well when I increase the size. Frederick would’ve been 76 In 1939 so he & Charlotte would’ve been living in The Beehive in Rails Lane, this was the house he built for his retirement. It’s still lived in by family today & still has a wee plaque on the building saying The Beehive. I have no proof yet but I think West Cottage in Fishery Lane was quite likely provided by the coastguard service.

Comment

If you click on the image June it will enlarge.
                                Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X