X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with birth registration, please

On FMP, there is the following birth record:
    Francis McDonough Q4 1856 Bellingham Reg District

I can't cross-reference this on the GRO site (wanting to check MMN)
    I have a similar problem with his sister Catherine Q4 1856 Bellingham.

What am I doing wrong, or is the "new" index not complete?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Francis McDonough
    mmn Lines

Manchester
    Q4 1856
    vol 8D page 95

just going back to find Catherine.

bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Sorry,

GRO is acting up at the moment.

I will try after dinner, unless someone finds them first.

bcbrit
      George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Thanks for trying bcbrit, but I'm afraid that's not the matching registration. The children I want were registered in Bellingham, Northumberland, and I think their mother's maiden name was Cosgrove, or a variation.

And for Catherine, I should have put 1858 - so sorry :o

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-03-18, 01:10.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Hi Jay,

I have tried every variation that I could think, but no joy.

I wonder if they forgot to scan those pages on GRO?

It might be worth dropping them a line and seeing what they can come up with.

bcbrit

Comment

The GRO site has Francis indexed with surname Donough
            DONOUGH, FRANCIS COSGROVE
            GRO Reference: 1856 D Quarter in BELLINGHAM UNION Volume 10B Page 223
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

and the same for Catherine
              DONOUGH, CATHERINE COSGROVE
              GRO Reference: 1858 D Quarter in BELLINGHAM UNION Volume 10B Page 218

Comment

Hi

Could you confirm what site you are using please to get the MMN

Many thanks
                Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
                  Hi

Could you confirm what site you are using please to get the MMN

Many thanks

'Choose the Order Certificates Online' option and then choose 'Search the GRO historical birth and death indexes and order Certificates/PDFs Online' After logging in you will be taken to the search page.

Comment

The new GRO index with maiden names is wonderful but has a few difficulties.
                    From my searches I have found some entries do seem to have been missed but it is quite hard to check because you MUST put a surname in the search. You can ask for 'similar sounding' names but this still does not necessarily find it, specially if the mistranscription starts with a different letter. I try to look at the image of the page on FreeBMD and second guess what might have been read. Trouble is there are (I belive) a number of different versions of the original index.

I make continuous use of the GRO index and there are just a few that I have not found.
                    Anne

Comment

The GRO index has answered many questions for me - it's been brilliant.
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                        The new GRO index with maiden names is wonderful but has a few difficulties.
                        From my searches I have found some entries do seem to have been missed but it is quite hard to check because you MUST put a surname in the search. You can ask for 'similar sounding' names but this still does not necessarily find it, specially if the mistranscription starts with a different letter. I try to look at the image of the page on FreeBMD and second guess what might have been read. Trouble is there are (I belive) a number of different versions of the original index.

I make continuous use of the GRO index and there are just a few that I have not found.
                        Anne
                        I find the limitation on the years is very annoying especially when I am having to switch between males and female too.
                        Caroline
                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

The new GRO site is brilliant but you do need time and patience as Caroline said. You can only do a year plus two each side and then change from male to female.
                          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                            http://gro.gov.uk
                            'Choose the Order Certificates Online' option and then choose 'Search the GRO historical birth and death indexes and order Certificates/PDFs Online' After logging in you will be taken to the search page.
                            If you are having trouble with that link Lensgirl try this one:

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Judith, many thanks for that.
                              Your result is very interesting indeed. As I know how particular one has to be on the GRO site, I thought I was onto a winning strategy by checking on FMP first and getting the "correct" spelling, which could then be used on the GRO website. I managed to find half the family using that method. McDonough is a pain of a name - anything from McDonna to McDonnick or even Donack, and some lines morphed into McDonald.
                              I think the parents may have married in Ireland (or not bothered or just had a RC ceremony) as I can't find a marriage and wanted to confirm mmn, which I'd inferred from a census return when mother's father was recorded with the family.

Thanks to everyone else who has responded to my query.

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                I thought I was onto a winning strategy by checking on FMP first and getting the "correct" spelling, which could then be used on the GRO website.
                                The new GRO index has been compiled from the digitised images of the copy register entries themselves , not from the old paper indexes, so they can be different and may not always agree with each other.
                                Last edited by AntonyM; 24-03-18, 12:15.
                                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks for that information, Antony. (I had begun to think that I was losing my marbles!)

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                  X