Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to contact a DNA match

Hi

I have had a match come up for someone who is either a first cousin, or great uncle (couldn't be great grandparents due to my actual grandparents ages or my own great grandchildren!).

I have tried a couple of times to send an email through my heritage and tried looking on ancestry and gedmatch but they aren't on there

There is only one name on freebmd for that person and the age makes them a contemporary of my grandparents on my dad's side (great uncle) or potentially a contemporary of my eldest aunt on my mum's side but that wouldn't make him my first cousin, unless my grandad born in 1901 had a child who then had a child by 1939.

His tree on my heritage does not match the mother's maiden name from the birth on freebmd and doesn't match any names I have in my tree but I can only see 3 names on the tree.

There is also 2 registrations of birth in the Same q, both mother's maiden name the same but one with a different surname to the my heritage match.

My question is, would it be unreasonable to get the address from the electoral register and write to him?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Hi Lensgirl,

If you want to send me the info by personal mail, I would try to help you, or if you want to send a letter I cant see any problem with that, he will make his own mind up as to whether he wants to reply, best of luck.

Robert

Comment

AIUI you cannot predict the relationship that precisely. Each person has 50% of each parents DNA, but at random. So it is theoretically possible for two siblings to share no DNA at all, although unlikely almost to the point of impossibility. However two siblings might have considerably different DNA, or on the other hand might be quite similar. With each generation the uncertainty increases.
      People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
      Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Working...
      X