Finding Canadian Obituary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Canadian Obituary

I'm looking for an obituary for Lucy House who died 5th February 1978 in British Columbia , either Revelstoke or Vancouver .
    Any idea where I should look

Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

She died in Revelstoke.

Have deleted death cert link. Perhaps not meeting privacy for BC Museum Archives site

Not seeing anything on FMP.

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 20-03-18, 21:46.

Comment

Genealogical library housing over 18,000 books plus maps, newspapers, and journals covering the whole world but specializing in British Columbia.

Vera

Comment

Thank you Vera
        So now I just search Revelstoke for an obituary .

Liz

Comment

Do you have the death cert?

I have had a quick look at Revelstoke and Vancouver but not for that date. 1978 but unfortunately not February/March time.

Vera

Comment

No Vera I don't have the death certificate . Lucy had no children of her own and her husband had died in 1927 after only 7 years of marriage . She did however have a niece Helen Hammond so I'm sure there would be an obituary in the local paper . I find obituaries can give quite a bit of family info so are quite useful .

Liz

Comment

I've found the death certificate now . Thanks

Liz

Comment

this looks as though it might be the paper you need to contact

My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Image of her headstone here:

Image of her 1920 marriage to James House here:

James's death is indexed on the same site but there is no accompanying image.

Christine
                  Last edited by Karamazov; 21-03-18, 13:15.
                  Researching:
                  HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thank you Sylvia and Christine .
                    Yes Sylvia I will contact the Revelsoke review . I tried searching for the obituaries from 1978 but they just seem to have recent ones online .
                    Christine yes I found those notices . However I don't know why but Lucy's full death certificate is online from 1978 but not James ' s from 1927!. I wondered if it's either that the earlier ones are not online at all though I don't know why they wouldn't be or that it is because James seems to have died in a mental institution called Essondale and that could be the reason though I don't really know why that would be the case.

Liz

Comment

Originally posted by congletonian View Post
                      Thank you Sylvia and Christine .
                      Yes Sylvia I will contact the Revelsoke review . I tried searching for the obituaries from 1978 but they just seem to have recent ones online .
                      Christine yes I found those notices . However I don't know why but Lucy's full death certificate is online from 1978 but not James ' s from 1927!. I wondered if it's either that the earlier ones are not online at all though I don't know why they wouldn't be or that it is because James seems to have died in a mental institution called Essondale and that could be the reason though I don't really know why that would be the case.

Liz
                      I think it's just that earlier BC death certs haven't been digitised. Eg there aren't digitised versions of various relatives of mine who died in BC in the 1930s and early 1940's but I can find images for later deaths.
                      Christine
                      Researching:
                      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thanks Christine . Yes that's what I thought might be the case and not because he died in a mental institution .

Liz

Comment

Working...
                        X