Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machines reading the archive: handwritten text recognition software

Brought to my attention on Rootschat

Any researcher who has used online newspaper archives, repositories of digitised books or even resources like The National Archives’ Cabinet Papers Online will recognise the revolution created by optical character recognition (OCR) technology. It is this technology which enables us to search not just the title, or date, but actually the words written inside a […]

I am not convinced it will ever work with all those old greasy, smudged and creased deeds I have had the pleasure of trying to transcribe at the NA but, as they say, every little helps!;D

Chris
    Last edited by Chris in Sussex; 20-03-18, 17:28.
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

and when I look at transcriptions done of printed materials by Optical Character Transcription, I wonder how they can work - but maybe it will mean greater access to records!

Comment

I've seen some horrible transcriptions done of handwritten material .......... the originals were not creased or dirty, but the renditions were awful!
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks, Guy!
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 21-03-18, 13:56.

Comment

From experience with articles in old Australian newspapers, a facility to enable readers to make corrections is probably essential, as the reader can make use of their knowledge of the subject-matter.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
          X