Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused

Can someone help me unravel this family for me. I am doing a tree for a friend I have them on the 1861/1871 census
    Piece, 1434, Folio 109, page 43, name James Rowland, 1871 piece 2113, Folio 30, Page 39.

The problem I have after checking the births on the GRO index of the children shown on the 1861 census is trying to define which ones belong.

George 1838 Gro index shows two born in 1839 Plymouth, MMN Venn and one with MMN Hicks
    James 1841 MMN Venn
    Charles I cannot find him searched from 1837 through to 1854
    John found a John William born 1852 Plymouth MMN Cock
    Thomas found a Thomas Harry born 1854, Plymouth, MMN Cock

Whilst doing the search for those named on the 1861 census I found the following
    Robert 1848 Plymouth MMN Hicks
    Henry 1844 Plymouth MMN Venn
    Henry 1844 Plymouth MMN Hicks
    Frederick 1840, Plymouth MMN Venn
    George 1840, Plymouth, MMN Hicks.

I have found a marriage for James to an Elizabeth Cock in 1849 so obviously two of the children named on the 1861 census belong and assumed James was married before. I have looked for a marriage using the surnames Hick and Venn to a James Rowland, could not find any. So I searched just using the surnames and found a marriage for a Richard Rowland to Ann Venn in 1782, in Devon, but date is way off. I also found a marriage for a George Rowland to Isabella Hicks in Cornwall 1835, so may be this was his first wife, but why is he calling himself George. Am I missing something here?

Can I have some opinions please.
    GWEN

Hi Gwen

I have not looked at the GRO but looked for earlier census first

1841 St Andrews St Plymouth.

James Rowlands 30 Tailor
    Charlott Rowlands 30
    William Rowlands 7
    Robert Rowlands 6
    George Rowlands 3

Perhaps look for a marriage to Charlotte

Piece 270 folio 17 page 29
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

The family appear on the 1851 census. HO107/1089 folio 692 page 47. First names and birthplaces of wife and children all tally also occupation (tailor) and birthplace (Brompton Kent) of Mr Rowland but his first name is listed as Thomas! There's an older son, William born Jersey so perhaps James/Thomas first marriage was there?
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Not having any luck with a James/Thomas Rowland to Charlotte pre the birth of William at the moment.

Looks like Judith has found the right census in 1851 and the marriage you have to Elizabeth Cock is correct.
        Lin

Comment

Yes I have been looking further and found the 1851 census return you refer to but just wonder why he is calling himself Thomas. I have also been looking for the children and Found George living with Mum Isabella piece 1879, folio 692, page 46, so I am confused as to who belongs to who.
          I am trying to get back another generation but with James or Thomas calling himself different names not sure how to.
          Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 12-03-18, 19:47.
          GWEN

Comment

So was he married three times do you think to Venn, Hick and Cock
            GWEN

Comment

Googled Brompton and it is near Chatham

From FMP

James Rowland bap 20 Oct 1811 Chatham
              Parents William and Lovdy or Loody depending on which on you look at. So it seems James is more likely to be the right name.
              Lin

Comment

yes I have those details so don't understand why he is calling himself Thomas? I have been trying to work out his mothers name lol
                Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 12-03-18, 20:08.
                GWEN

Comment

James Rowland, of the parish of St Andrew, Plymouth, and Charlotte Witchvenn of the parish of Magdalen, in the county of Somerset,
                  were married on the 28th day of August 1833, in St Helier, Jersey.

William Ven, son of James and Charlotte Which Ven (sic) Rowland, was baptized 29/06/1834, St Helier, Jersey.
                  Godparents were Thomas Stoyle and Sarah Boyle.
                  AUDREY

Comment

Thanks for that so it looks like he was married to three women, I just hope I can find deaths for them before he went on to the next one. Where did you find the information on FMP or Ancestry? Thanks again. I have to go now thank you everyone for you help I am still confused and I am going to list everything in order to get it all straight in my mind. Be back soon hopefully.
                    Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 12-03-18, 20:44.
                    GWEN

Comment

I found the information on Ancestry, Jersey Records.
                      AUDREY

Comment

NOTE:-

ancestry has them transcribed as ROWLAND on the 1841 Census

James Rowland 39 Tailor
                        Charlott Rowland 30
                        William Rowland 7
                        Robert Rowland 6
                        George Rowland 3

All born in Devon.

I think James' age is 30 on the image.

but checking on GRO Index, we have the ones already found ...........

George Rowland, mmn Venn Sept quart 1838, Plymouth
                        George Edward Henry John Rowland, mmn Hicks Jul quarter 1838 Plymouth
                        George Rowland mmn Hicks March quart 1840 Plymouth

not the surname we have for Charlotte!
                        Last edited by Sylvia C; 13-03-18, 02:41.
                        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Name: Charlotte Welch Venn
                          Event Type: Baptism
                          Baptism Date: 18 Mar 1810
                          Baptism Place: Taunton St Mary, Somerset, England
                          Mother: Jane Venn

image on Ancestry
                          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

do you need world wide cover to see the jersey records as I cannot seem to locate that record
                            GWEN

Comment

thank you
                              GWEN

Comment

brompton was part of the navy quarters as there was a big dockyard in Chatham. I notice you rman then goes to plymoouth another dockyard town so was he in the navy?

Comment

How about this for a name Lovedy Polkinghorn, she took while to find this is the lady William Rowland married. Its bad enough her surname is Polkinghorn why on earth would you add to her pain and call her Lovedy.
                                  GWEN

Comment

Working...
                                  X