Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bounty mutineer Edward Young

Hello.

The least is known of Bounty midshipman, Edward YOUNG, than of all the Bounty mutineers. From the Bounty muster, he was born in St. Kitts, West Indies and signed-on in 1787 at the age of 21. There is an Edward YOUNG that fits his age appearing on the muster of the royal yacht, Catherine, under Admiral Sir George YOUNG in 1784-85, and it was the Admiral who recommended Edward YOUNG to Capt. William BLIGH. That is all that is documented; all that we know of him. Most authors on the subject have speculated Edward was the Admiral’s nephew; some say his son. I have reason to strongly suspect he was the grandson of Admiral Sir George YOUNG first-cousin, James. I am Edward YOUNG grandson seven generations removed. I plan to be in England for the first time this September, and I would like to try to test this out.

I’m basing this hunch on the Admiral’s biography, Young of Formosa, written by his grandson, Sir George YOUNG III, Bt, in 1882. The family’s genealogy is well-documented from the 1600’s to this day and omits the mutineer, Edward. However, an appendix to this biography contributed by a YOUNG relation, the Rev. Charles Russell COOKE of Semer, is a family tree which includes a placeholder where Edward might be placed. It is this tree that suggests Edward might have descended from the Admiral’s cousin. What is tantalising about this tree is the people listed was being Edward’s father, uncles and aunts are to a person the names Edward gives his children on Pitcairn Island. I immediately endeavoured to find the Reverend COOKE’s papers to try to re-create his research. Unfortunately, I learned that not only did he die without issue, but his home under a subsequent owner was destroyed by fire. I’m not expecting to find his work. But I’ll be in England and am willing to try to follow his footsteps.

Would anyone be able to share some advice on how to approach this task? Based around this tree that exists, I’m prepared to slog through Parish records. (Various shires are mentioned.) But I would love to have some guidance to reduce what seems to be a daunting prospect in a limited period of time. It’s fun, but I could use some help. Sorry for the length of this post. Thank you.

Richard Kleiner
    Norfolk Island
Working...
X