Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• julia irene tullett

Hi to all.
    I am trying to find where my mother in law came from, Julia Irene Tullett. She died in St Bernards hospital in Southall in 1965.
    I have been searching the net but can find no matches ,apart from her marriage in Staines 1938. I need to pay to join some sites but am not sure which ones will be the most help .She had a sad life to be taken away from her children at a young age. and my husband was 18 before he was allowed to see her. I feel finding out about is all we can do to give her recognition and some meaning. I would appreciate it if anyone has any imformation to guide me . verana

I would use a three prong approach: buy the marriage and death certificates for her from the general register office uk (GRO) website, or the local register office to where the events took place. It should cost you about £10 from either.

This gives you age from both records, and father's name and occupation from the marriage.

The other thing i would do is look for her under her married name in the 1939 register from findmypast.co.uk. This will give you her birthdate, in which you should be able to find her birth if she was born in england/wales.

In order to order a birth, death, or marriage from the GRO, you will need the reference numbers. You can find these on ancestry.com, findmypast, both of which require subscriptions; or from freebmd, which is the free births deaths and marriages index.

Comment

hi kylejustin
      Thankyou so much for your reply. I will take your advice. also my husband has just said that his brother may have those certificates. I think that I have been trying to research to much at once. my tree as well. and felt that I was going around in circles. Thankyou again for your help. From here in chilly old England. verana

Comment

If she married a man called Eric and I've got the right lady, the 1939 register records her date of birth as 15 Nov 1917.
        (Bear in mind that recorded "facts" may not always be correct.)

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I think you may need to purchase (or get sight of) the marriage certificate, as this should have the name of the bride's father.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Couldn't find any bc for 1917 but as Janet says may not be correct. The death reg info on Ancestry gives a dob of 1910.

Vera

Comment

The only ref I could find for Julia I Tullett was the 1938 marriage; nothing for a possible birth. This led me to wonder if Tullett actually was her birth surname, hence my focus on the marriage cert which should indicate father's name and also marital status of the bride. (Depending on her year of birth, she could have had a previous marriage, or Mr Tullett could have been a step-father.) I was hoping that the details recorded on the marriage cert could, perhaps, suggest additional areas to investigate.
              I realise that the surname Tullett lends itself to a whole range of mis-transcriptions.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The mc hopefully will give some clues as you say Jay! I believe Verana's bil may have a copy.

Read somewhere that Tullett is a Staffs name.

Vera
                Last edited by vera2013; 09-03-18, 16:20.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                  The mc hopefully will give some clues as you say Jay! I believe Verana's bil may have a copy.

Read somewhere that Tullett is a Staffs name.

Vera
                  I think Julia's husband's line might also have a complication

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

hi Janet,

Thank you so much for your message. You have the right Julia as I have seen online eric Langley ...Stingemore. marriage staines 1938 . Eric Langley was my father in law and died in 1978 . I knew him and I take the name Langley. Eric Jack Langleys Mother was Alice Stingemore.

Before Eric died ,he seemed to want to disown Langley as his father . We being young at the time. Did not take much notice and thought it was based on some past anger. I know that Alice and Langley married after Eric s birth . Now the complications may suggest that there may be some truth to it.
                    Albeit the birth and marriage seem to be quite close. I really appreciate your help. I will get certificates soon hopefully.

Comment

Hi Vera.

Thankyou so much for your reply.

Julia was indeed married to Eric Jack Langley, 1938. The Stingemore surname on the marriage certificate was Alice Stingemore. Eric s mother. I met both of them Eric died in 1978 and Alice a few years before. My brother in Law was born 1940 6 years older than my husband. He was probably about 10 or 11 when Julia was admitted to St Bernards so we had hoped he would tell us more. but we feel he would rather forget. I expect he also has very sad memories of it all. There has always been a mention of either a still birth or infant death sibling. She was admitted with Parkinson s but treated as a mental illness ?? So for the safely of the family she never came home . We believe wartime sadness could be the root of her problem. Thankyou again from Verana.

Comment

Verena

Do you have Julia's death cert for the actual cause of death? I think it is quite unusual for someone so young to develop Parkinson's.

OC
                        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 09-03-18, 20:12. Reason: Stupid kindle autocorrect!

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Verena

Do you have Julia's death cert for the actual cause of death? I think it is quite unusual for someone so young to develop Parkinson's.

OC
                          OC, I know of someone who was diagnosed with Parkinson's at around the age of 30. She was advised that the condition and pregnancy did not bode well together.
                          How very sad for Julia and her family.

Verena, I had worked out the Stingemore connection, but wasn't sure whether or not you knew about this.
                          As neither Vera nor I can find a birth registration for Julia I Tullett , I was wondering if her birth circumstances were similar??

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

hi Olde crone Holden
                            Thankyou for your reply. We don t have a death certificate but will have to get one. My husband says that they put pheumonia excuse spelling, as the cause of death. she started with shaking , they probably just put that to the diagnosis.
                            I know someone who had all the tests for Parkinson about 2004 . but I kept feeling she did not really have it . about a month before her death 2 years after diagnosis. the family were told that she had a mimicer of it. but they said they still would have treated it the same. who knows the truth really. Julia had apparently had a head injury previously which could have resulted in damage. certainly she seemed to suffer from mental illness when I last saw her. verana

Comment

julia irene tullett

I meant when my husband last saw her.

Comment

Thankyou Verana, I agree that death causes often don't tell you much about what was really going on. I expect I would be mentally ill too if I had been locked up away from my children for years, the poor soul.

OC

Comment

thanks janet. My husband always believed she came from Yorkshire as my father and ancestors did . but Julia s past is just heresay. It will take me a bit of time in getting to grips with this research ,but I find it very interesting and you have all been so kind in your help.

Comment

hi O C

I totally agree with you. and throughout my marriage I have tried to include her in my thoughts and draw my own conclusions to how she felt. And that by spending my time on trying to trace her background could honour her in some way . After all she could have lived to see her 2 boys ,her grandson and great grandson grow up.

I am a very spiritual person and also believe in the progress of the soul.

My quote . Does thou love life, thou waste not time for time is the stuff that life is made of.
                                    I believe John Donne wrote that

Comment

Verana

Just before I got married, my father told me that I might want to consider whether or not to have children, as " there is insanity in the family". Turned out that a great great uncle came home from WW1 with what we now call PTSD and spent the rest of his life in an asylum. His wife was so ashamed of this that she told their four children and everyone else that he was dead. Things were so different back then.

I am glad that you want to honour her life and existence. I feel the same way about some of my ancestors who suffered unimaginable tragedies in their lives.

OC
                                      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 09-03-18, 23:32.

Comment

Aw o c
                                        Eric went down 3 times in the water whilst in the royal marines when they were torpedoed . He was shell shocked for ages. so sad. We don t know how lucky a lot of us are. we can choose to remember the good times but how must it be when war makes you have to suffer memories so tragic that you can' t shut them out. But he never gave up on Julia and visited her weekly for years. War took away what should have been the best years of his life. but he loved his sons and our son and never said an unkind word to any of us. We always laughed at the way he would go off to work then shout through the letter box. The roads are treacherous . every winter my husband reminds me of that

Comment

Working...
                                        X