Do you ever wonder why nobody else is researching them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ever wonder why nobody else is researching them

Maybe its just me ,but I often wonder why nobody is researching some of mine, especially when its a large family.
    I am of course talking about on Ancestry, suppose some people keep it strictly private.

Many of my own family are not in the least bit interested and sometimes I'm ploughing a lonely furrow with some of my ancestors, but I carry on regardless.

Comment

seems strange sometimes, my Nan had 15 children and not one of them or their offspring are doing it.

Comment

I have contact with a third cousin on my father's side and a third cousin on my mother's side and that's it! My great great grandparents all had huge families but most of them didn't marry, or didn't have children, or just had one child. So frustrating.

OC

Comment

val you are not alone. None of my family are as yet interested in FH/ My Grandparents each had 10 children and though I have found most marriages very few are researching and those that are researching on the British side, seem to know nothing about our respective families.

One strange thing is that having had the DNA test, nobody on my main lines are there as matches!! I have found about 13 obscure and potentially interesting matches so far. The main matches and those doing the most Family History are the American cousins with whom I made contact back in 2001. They are the only ones of any interest. I seem to make no progress on my main lines, though I am further back than any one I know.

I wonder if these DNA tests may help one day, though too many of those have no trees on Ancestry, not sure what they hope to gain by that??

Janet

Comment

Strange really , as more youngsters than ever seem to be researching, mind you I do know a few people that insist they do everything on the free sites , and wont pay a sub, for any.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              Strange really , as more youngsters than ever seem to be researching, mind you I do know a few people that insist they do everything on the free sites , and wont pay a sub, for any.
              They won't get far on that basis and as for getting hold of original documents, not only are they not on the free sites but few Subscription sites offer that many original documents so to get the real feel of your FH you need to go the County Record Offices as most of what they have in their collections will not be online for many years to come.

Janet,

Comment

Val
                I've been disappointed too that I seem to be the only descendant researching my mums two lines Beddows and Garth . I subscribe to Ancestry and keep looking in case someone has started researching since I last looked !
                I have been lucky on my dad s lines finding quite a few people researching but not always getting as far back as I have . It's nice to be able to fill in some blanks for them though . That's one of the things that makes family history research so rewarding in my opinion . I've been doing it since 1981 hopping between different branches of the family usually when I hit a brick wall with one .
                Liz
                my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Comment

Quite agree Janet ,its a very expensive hobby actually,I dont dare work out how much I have spent, what with subs and certs etc, but I dont drink smoke or play Bingo, so its a treat to me.
                  Liz it is frustrating, I did once get a close contact on my side, but she said she would ask her dad for anything he knew and I never heard from her again, plus she stopped doing her tree?? maybe they know something I dont:(

Comment

As far as I know, I'm the only McKanna researching my tree. My dad had two half brothers named Smith! and a sister who died at birth so I am effectively the last in my line -however I did give my daughter McKanna as a a third Christian name so here's hoping it will continue..

Amanda

Comment

Is your daughter interested in carrying on with it?

Comment

Maybe its just me ,but I often wonder why nobody is researching some of mine, especially when its a large family.
                        I am of course talking about on Ancestry, suppose some people keep it strictly private.
                        And the converse, too: sometimes I'm amazed by how many descendants of an ancestor are researching him/her/them.

And at times I'm amazed by how many people in a particular ancestral line have tested. If everyone that is a close match to my mother on AncestryDNA would move their results to gedmatch, I could probably "map" all of her maternal genome.

Comment

I find no one researchs my families, and when they have been, the person doing it is rarely related- usually an in law of someone who is, or researching my family as in laws to theirs.

Where there are relatives, they know barely anything and don't really want to be in contact.

My other problem is lack of descendants in the first place. I have no idea what my paternal grandfather's father looked like. Doing the tree to find living relatives and photos is a nightmare. My grandfather only had two cousins, one male unmarried and childless who died before my birth, and a female cousin who married with children but is also deceased. Her DIL doesn't think we're related, even though i have the records. And didn't respond to messages after that. So frustrating.

So the nearest relatives there, are descendants of my great great grandparents siblings. The mother's side has a brother who vanishes, and one sister with untraceable descendants. The father's side is large with many descendants, but no one has any photos.

My grandfather was b.1920, his parents 1890's, and great great granfparents in the 1850's/60's. So there would have been photos around, where are they now? Assuming they have survived.
                          Last edited by kylejustin; 09-03-18, 00:40.

Comment

Not at the moment, Val, but I guess I wasn't at 24 either......

She bought my mum a little journal and pen for mothers's day - she's hoping mum will jot down little stories that she thinks of....hmmm... some hope and Bob Hope.....

Comment

There are loads of people doing Toms Tree, I could probably finish his in no time.
                              All our family photos are gone, as my father's flat was repossessed , and they did a clearance, including photos and personal stuff, if only he had told me ,we could have gone and saved so many things, I dont even have a memento from my mum, but was so lucky to find a lady who had a photo of my Mothers Father, who none of us had ever seen as he died at 24.
                              Amck37 I find the best way is to talk about the old days ,its amazing how much they remember.

Comment

I suppose I have been lucky on some of my lines as I have met a few very distant cousins, but it is intriguing that there seem to be so many possible descendants from large families and nobody else seems to be interested. As in the case of my Maria Butler I got as far as trying to make contact with anybody connected to who I now think is her mother Emily Tanner. Lots of people have her in their tree but nobody knows anything about her as she doesnt seem to be in anybodys direct line. But she had about 6 children and one of them had 5 of his own.

Comment

In the case of my particular line of Murrays there are only a handful of others and we all know the same as each other. In my line of Hiddlestons there’s even less. In my husband’s two lines, there are quite a few researchers but sadly they are full of guesses and simply wrong and/or impossible “facts”. Loads of wholesale copying going on.

Comment

I’ve found a lot of distant cousins who have family trees up on Ancestry, but there are very few who seem to be willing to do the research when we get back to the 17th and the earlier centuries, and have to rely on wills, herald’s visitations, legal documents, parish records that haven’t been indexed or transcribed, etc.

It can be quite expensive, of course, what with subscriptions, hiring local genealogists, etc. I’m on a limited income and have had to budget carefully over the years.

I wish I could get over to England sometime, I just can’t afford it.

On the bright side, I’m on a pension, so I have time to plan and think about my brickwalls.
                                    Last edited by tanyal; 14-03-18, 22:30.

Comment

Its quite interesting to me ,how many people have the same families as mine, but not person I am looking for.
                                      I worry that being a pensioner I wont finish it in time tanyal

Comment

Its quite interesting to me ,how many people have the same families as mine, but not person I am looking for.
                                        I worry that being a pensioner I wont finish it in time tanyal
                                        I’m on Disability, so I have a bit more time (I’m turning 50 in 2020), but I understand. No sooner do I progress on one brickwall, than another one reveals itself behind it.
                                        Last edited by tanyal; 15-03-18, 01:20.

Comment

Working...
                                        X