How long does a child have to live for to be registered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does a child have to live for to be registered

I have a Birth and a Death in Jun 1911 ,am sure I read somewhere that a child has to live for so long before being registered? is that right

My understanding is that any live birth must be registered, no matter how long the baby survives. Still births are registered separately. see this parliamentary document.
    Last edited by JudithM; 06-03-18, 21:12. Reason: spelling
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

If a baby takes one breath, the birth and death must be registered. If the baby does not take one breath, it is registered as a stillbirth.

OC

Comment

thanks both, wish she had lived longer as her mother disappears, at the same time. and it might have been easier to find her.

Comment

According to one of my aunts, my grandmother's son lived for only a few minutes - both birth & death were registered, but I haven't bought the certs. No baptism or burial entry in PR. I have found a report of an inquest, at which it was reported that the infant died suddenly, of natural causes.

My friend's mother gave birth to twin girls - the baptism register recorded that one child was stillborn, the other lived for 20 minutes and was baptised by the doctor. There were birth and death registrations for the latter.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I understood that one breath meant that the child was born alive, and that it should then be registered.

But I did once find a death registration for a child and have never found a birth registration. It was suggested that some parents might be in such a state after a quick death that they might forget to register the birth.

That seems to make sense to me, as the father could register the death, but the mother was supposed to register the birth.
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I have one which I am pretty sure matches the same birth where the death reg is in the Quarter before the birth reg. Very sad but the registrations only need go be a day or two apart for that to happen.
              Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                I understood that one breath meant that the child was born alive, and that it should then be registered.

But I did once find a death registration for a child and have never found a birth registration. It was suggested that some parents might be in such a state after a quick death that they might forget to register the birth.

That seems to make sense to me, as the father could register the death, but the mother was supposed to register the birth.
                I have one the same - my grandmother had a daughter who lived 3 months but no birth just a death reg.

I like to buy both certificates as there is no other means of knowing these people existed.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                X