Purdy from Derbyshire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purdy from Derbyshire.

I've been going round in circles for 3 days trying to sort this lot out. On 21 Oct 1833 Hannah Warren, b 1814 in West Hallam married Thomas Purdy. Thomas was a widower, from Kirk Hallam. He had previously been married to Sarah Cope (m.6 Sep 1826 in Kirk Hallam). Sarah died in either 1830 or 1831 in Kirk Hallam. Hannah had had a son in Mar 1833, Isaac Warren who died in 1835. There is a possibility of a son Israel Purdy b. Jun Q 1839 Basford district mmn Warren according to GRO.

There is a Thomas Purdy in Long Eaton who married Sarah Austin in 1811, they had a son Thomas in 1824 who married Hannah Hardy in 1847, and had 2 sons before Hannah died in 1854. These are not my lot.

I haven't yet been able to work out a birth for Thomas - there are a few possibilities but none in Kirk Hallam.

In 1841 there is A Thomas and Hannah Purdy in South Wingfield, but I don't think these are mine as the ages are way out.

Can anyone see Thomas and Hannah Purdy, possibly with Israel, anywhere?

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Linda. Just looked at Derbyshire births on FMP and Israel Purdy was definitely born in Ilkeston so it does sound as though he is Thomas and Hannah's son.

Haven't found anything else out about him but there is an Israel Purdy born 1842 emigrating to America in 1895. If it is him then where is he in the previous years!!

I live in Kirk Hallam.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Just to say I'm Struggling with any other info for you.

The only other thing I have found is Thomas Purdy dying 1883 born 1806 Shardlow.

But looking at that there is Thomas Purdy married to Jane on 1841-1881 in Dale Abbey born Dale Abbey. That is the next village along from Kirk Hallam.

Not looked into this family at all though.
      Lin

Comment

Just been looking at the family and Thomas in Dale Abbey married Jane Smith in 1828. So nothing to do with your Thomas.

Sorry but have arrived at a dead end now.
        Lin

Comment

I have searched Linda. Nothing coming up for 1841.
          There is a burial in Kirk Hallam 1849 for a Thomas Purdy b 1764.
          Can't see a remarriage for Hannah
          There is a naturalization record for an Israel Purdy b in England but dob given as 1842.
          Will look some more
          Vera

Comment

Hi Lin, thanks so much for having a look - they certainly seem to have gone off the grid - even if the were non-conformist there should be a death reg, for them. Will have another look at Thomas Purdy from Shardlow and see if I can track him back, and also Israel in USA.
            Linda

Comment

Thomas Prudy who died in Shardlow district is probably the one at Dale Abbey.

That Thomas Purdy you have found Vera is a lot older than I was looking for but could quite easily be right. Even if it isn't he should be on the 1841 census.
              Lin

Comment

Thanks for looking Vera - had a look at that naturalisation record, it says he was born at sea in 1842, arrived in US 1858. Either it was a very slow ship, or maybe his father was a sailor of some sort? I can't work out exactly where he says he was born - Bay of Fundy??
                Linda

Comment

The Thomas who died in Kirk Hallam b. 1764 lived in Mapperley according to the burial record. In 1841 there is a Thomas Purdy in Mapperley with son Richard and dil Anne and their children, who I think would be him.
                  Linda

Comment

Just looking at Mapperley Village and their church wasn't built until 1850 so Kirk Hallam would be the nearest church if you went over the fields.
                    Lin

Comment

Just found this on line. Not a lot of help but it proves that Israel was born in Ilkeston
                      Lin

Comment

I found Bay of Fundy - it's just off the coast of Canada, so the possibility is that maybe the family went to Canada, possibly Israel had died, a new baby born on voyage also named Israel. They lived in Canada until Israel2 emigrated to US in 1895. Maybe a nice fairy story:D - can't see any sign of Thomas or Hannah in Canada.

Thanks for that link to old Ilkeston Lin, found a few others of my wider family on there.
                        Last edited by ozgirl; 04-03-18, 12:20.
                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                        X