Two sons both called James

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two sons both called James

I know this is common when one had already died but is this possible same parents
    James and Ann Maria Jones

I have a James George Jones born 22 Mar 1812 and died 1865

James Henry Jones born 17 Mar 1819 not sure yet when died

It is possible, I have seen this before, so annoying lol. In my case it was because both grandfathers were called William!

I wandered off into a very distant side shoot once, all born in France. All the boys were called Jean Louis something, all the girls Marie something!

OC

Comment

thanks OC I was almost sure they are brothers just seemed odd.

Comment

Probably called by their middle names. Or nicknames. I've often wondered when both survive, if the eldest was terminally ill or thought to be and the new baby was named for them. But then the elder survived.

Comment

My 3rd gt grandfather had sons Ernest b 1871 died 1889 and Ernest Edward b 1876 died 1960. Both together on 1881 census. Not being direct ancestors I don't have their bc's but I was pleased to be able to check their MMN on GRO this last year to help towards proving they were brothers as cannot find their baptisms (same applies for many of my Suffolk ancestors). There was a death notice however for the younger one naming his father and address. He died aged 19 after a lingering illness.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

My grandmother's first name was Maria, but she had two sisters both with the first name Mary. They were always known by their middle names. The family was RC.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I also have this in my family - William Charles (b 1853) and William John (b 1864). They are both listed as William on the census with their middle initials, but William Charles was buried as Charles.
              Jenny

Comment

I wonder how often they got confused with who was who?

Comment

Just to say, my grandfather (husband of post #6) was Frank Herbert. His infant elder brother Frank Wilfred was still alive but died a few months later. Presumably he was already sick when my grandfather was born/named.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

My great grandfather was Donald McPherson, born 1837, his brother, Donald McPherson was born 1832. They both appear on the 1841 census. No middle name or initial (Or excuses!)
                    Ann

Comment

Quite sad in a way Uncle John, Thats funny Ann wonder why ?

Comment

Working...
                      X