Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone have a look at this Harry / Harold issue for me please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone have a look at this Harry / Harold issue for me please?

OK, last year I looked at a branch of my mother in laws tree - the Stanford's from the Birmingham area. I am going to write it up for her as she is recovering from an operation and so currently house bound, but I am now confused and wondered whether anyone could help me?

The parents are Thomas Stanford (1839-1914) and the mother Emma Maullin (1842 - 1885). I have it that they had 10 children:

Annie Maria Stanford 1864–1952; Albert Edward Stanford 1866–1931; [B]Harry Stanford 1869 - ?; Thomas Maullin Stanford 1871–1871; [B]Harold Maullin Stanford 1872–1890; Marie Louise Stanford 1874–1932; Ada Mary Stanford 1876–1876; Emma Stanford 1878–1933; Thomas Reginald Stanford 1879–1920; Rowland Edgar Stanford 1881–1935

Thomas's entry in the 1911 census states that 6 of his children were still living, 4 had died so I am assuming that the first Harry (born in 1869) must have died by then. He's not listed with the family in any of the census returns.

The GRO confirm that both Harry Stanford (b. 1869) and Harold Maullin Stanford (b. 1872) were born to a mother named "Maullin".

But, I cannot find a death for the first Harry. I assumed he would have died before the birth of Harold Maullin in 1872, but cannot find a death. Am I being really dim and missing it? Family Search is quoting a Find My Past record "England, Staffordshire, Church Records" stating that a "Henry Stanford" was baptised at St James Parish, Wednesbury on 28 March 1895 (the birth date is stated as 4 June 1869 and the parents given as Thomas and Emma). I don't have Find My Past, so can't check this.

Can anyone please help me find his death please?
    Last edited by Charney Jo; 28-02-18, 13:28.
    :D Charney Jo

Hi

Henry is baptised at St Mary Wednesbury as you have stated. Living at 48 Lamp St and father a brick burner.

I have saved the image if you want to pm me with an e-mail address.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Sorry the baptism was St James' Church.
      Lin

Comment

Thanks Lin. Obviously a different Harry as Thomas was an Engineer. This makes more sense, so I am looking for his death. Probably before 1872 then ...

Comment

Isn't it possible that Harry was staying with someone else? It wouldn't be unheard of for one to be Harry and one Harold.

I wonder if you have discounted the Harry Stanford who died in 1905 aged 37 in Chorlton, Lancashire?
          There is also this one in1891 listed as nephew. Could he be a possibility?
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie, I saw that one as well and wondered if it was a possibility.
            Lin

Comment

This is the burial record for the one I mentioned -

Harry Stanford - Age 37 - Birth Date abt 1868 - Death Date 22 Oct 1905 - Death Place 100 Queens Rd - Burial Date 26 Oct 1905 - Burial Place Manchester, Greater Manchester, England - Cemetery Gorton Cemetery - Grave Number 535 K
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Sorry, haven't managed to get back in this evening. I'll have a look at those tomorrow. Thank you!

Comment

Whilst researching WW1 soldiers, I came across a family which had both a Harry and a Harold. I have birth registrations for both(same mmn) a bp record for Harold, but neither bp nor childhood burial for Harry. Both appear in 1901 & 1911 census returns, but not in the same household - the mother died in 1900 and in 1901 Harry and two sisters were with one set of grandparents, baby Harold with the other pair. In 1911 Harry was living in at his place of work whilst Harold was still with the grandparents. I have not found army records for either Harry or Harold, but a medal index card for a Harry indicates that he was in the reserves pre 1914 and served in WW1, but was recorded as Harold on the village roll of honour. I have marriage certificates for both Harry and Harold - both were sons of George, engine driver.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Jay. It's odd, isn't it, to name two children with essentially the same name!

Snow willing (meaning school not being closed!), I will follow up those earlier leads.

Comment

Surely Harry is short for Henry, not Harold? Different names really. I have families with both names. Its similar to Eliza and Elizabeth. Plenty of families with both those names as well.
                      Anne

Comment

Ah, Anne. Yes, that makes total sense!

Comment

Just noticed on the GRO index Harry and Harold have the same Vol and Page no. 06D 221.
                          So maybe another birth and death prior to 1911 to match the 10 births, 4 deaths.

Vera
                          Last edited by vera2013; 01-03-18, 11:58.

Comment

On second thoughts not sure that there is any significance to their being on the same page even though there is a 3 year gap between registrations.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                            X