strange spellings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange spellings

just saw a burial in 1759, kingsbarns, fife, scotland for "kethron Spence". most outlandish spelling for "catherine" i've ever come across. just had to share!

You can just hear it being said like that in a Scots accent

I'm currently transcribing a will for Samuel Botting in Sussex, his will is perfectly written but he also appears in another I have done (as the husband of a beneficiary) as Samawoll Botting.

Comment

One of my distant twigs was parish clerk for eight years and compiled the BTs which he duly signed off as being accurate each year. In that time he spelled his surname (Holden) in 5 different ways!!

OC

Comment

If you look at one of the names in my signature, it is Hayhurst

Also found as Hairst
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
          If you look at one of the names in my signature, it is Hayhurst

Also found as Hairst
          Presumably that's how it was pronounced.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
            Presumably that's how it was pronounced.
            I assume that it was, combined with some illiteracy among the hearers!

I have found it only in the earlier years, ie late 17th and the 18th centuries, but the same family will use both spellings, some only one or the other. They all seem to have settled on Hayhurst by the 19thC

We do of course ignore the modern day transcriber who thought it was Porst
            Last edited by Sylvia C; 01-03-18, 22:47.
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
            X