Obtaining Irish Passport through Irish Grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtaining Irish Passport through Irish Grandfather

My son wants to obtain an Irish Passport through having an Irish Grandfather. We understand he needs his Grandfather's Birth Cert, his marriage Certificate, my Birth Cert and our Marriage Certificate. I can supply most of this but despite much searching I have never found parents ' Marriage Cert. I have my mother's passage to Malta in January 1931 and I have my brother's Birth Certificate in Malta for 1931. I have wedding photos and have written twice to Malta for search for marriage. My father was in the Navy and I have looked at overseas and Navy marriages without any luck.but his navy details are brief until MOD allows us the rest. My mother was able to receive some of his naval pension after he died so there must have been a marriage otherwise she would not have received pension. Has anyone applied for an Irish passport in this situation and is the Marriage Cert important?. if so what else could I do?

Janet

If your father or both parents are deceased, why wouldn't you be able to get his full record? My english grandfather served in malaya in the 50's. Had my gran apply for his records after he died, and had no issues. Are the rules different for ireland? As in after the republic?

Comment

I would contact the Irish Embassy and ask them what is acceptable if you can't get the missing certificate.

Birth of a grandparent in Ireland does normally allow you to claim Irish citizenship but there are several steps to go through. Firstly, you will need certified copies of all the relevant birth and marriage certificates showing the link back to the person born in Ireland.

Secondly, if you are claiming through a father or mother who was not themselves born in Ireland, you need to apply to get their birth registered as an Irish Foreign birth. That takes about 6 months and costs €278. Once you obtain that document from Dublin, you can then apply for your Irish passport. (Not before). There’s a 3-month delay for new applicants and a face to face interview is also required. So you have to go to an Irish Embassy or Consulate for an interview. The passport itself costs €80 (£70).

So allowing for the time to get all the certificates together and the other delays, it takes about a year, and will probably cost around £400.

Fuller information on the Irish Embassy website:

Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        If your father or both parents are deceased, why wouldn't you be able to get his full record? My english grandfather served in malaya in the 50's. Had my gran apply for his records after he died, and had no issues. Are the rules different for ireland? As in after the republic?
        I applied to the MOD many years ago for my Father;s Naval Record, paying £25 at that time and have got that. He joined the Navy in Cobh in 1919 and his records from 1919 until 1922 are in Kew. I have those as well. Unfortunately the MOD could only take his records until 1944 but he was not demobbed until 1945. As I knew he was on a Hospital ship until demob and as I knew the name of the Hospital Ship I never bothered about the missing year. They told me at the time that due to wartime operations that many of the records are incomplete for that last year. But of course that missing year will contain his pension details which I have not got. These records can be hit and miss and MOD only sent me one page of ships on which he served and his medals he received. There was no other information available.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Elwyn View Post
          I would contact the Irish Embassy and ask them what is acceptable if you can't get the missing certificate.

Birth of a grandparent in Ireland does normally allow you to claim Irish citizenship but there are several steps to go through. Firstly, you will need certified copies of all the relevant birth and marriage certificates showing the link back to the person born in Ireland.

Secondly, if you are claiming through a father or mother who was not themselves born in Ireland, you need to apply to get their birth registered as an Irish Foreign birth. That takes about 6 months and costs €278. Once you obtain that document from Dublin, you can then apply for your Irish passport. (Not before). There’s a 3-month delay for new applicants and a face to face interview is also required. So you have to go to an Irish Embassy or Consulate for an interview. The passport itself costs €80 (£70).

So allowing for the time to get all the certificates together and the other delays, it takes about a year, and will probably cost around £400.

Fuller information on the Irish Embassy website:

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/gre...passport-cost/
          Thankyou Elwyn for this. Yes I think that would be a good first move to get in touch with the Irish Embassy. Yes I also thought that the circle would have to be rounded which is why I am concerned at not having the Marriage Certificate. My father was born Kings County (Offaly) and we will have to get his full Birth Cert as I only have the short cheaper version. I have my Birth Cert showing him as my father with my mother's name but without that Marriage Certificate showing those two were married I have an incomplete circle which is why I was trying to find other ways of proving they are all one and the same person. His naval record shows his date and place of birth but without any other evidence to corroborate I am in a tricky position. I had hoped that pension records might help but cannot see any way to getting those until W War 2 Records are released to the General Public, which will not be before 2020, 75 years after the end of Second W War.

Yes, it is not an easy thing to do and not having the MC has made it a whole lot worse. Does anyone know anybody who has access to Maltese records willing to do 2 year search from early 1931 until mid 1932 for me?

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
            Thankyou Elwyn for this. Yes I think that would be a good first move to get in touch with the Irish Embassy. Yes I also thought that the circle would have to be rounded which is why I am concerned at not having the Marriage Certificate. My father was born Kings County (Offaly) and we will have to get his full Birth Cert as I only have the short cheaper version. I have my Birth Cert showing him as my father with my mother's name but without that Marriage Certificate showing those two were married I have an incomplete circle which is why I was trying to find other ways of proving they are all one and the same person. His naval record shows his date and place of birth but without any other evidence to corroborate I am in a tricky position. I had hoped that pension records might help but cannot see any way to getting those until W War 2 Records are released to the General Public, which will not be before 2020, 75 years after the end of Second W War.

Yes, it is not an easy thing to do and not having the MC has made it a whole lot worse. Does anyone know anybody who has access to Maltese records willing to do 2 year search from early 1931 until mid 1932 for me?

Janet
            If you have your father's death certificate you can apply for WW11 service records. I have them for my father who only served in WW11.

I applied to MOD along with death cert, it cost £30 and took about 3 months to arrive.

Have a look here for the application form https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
              If you have your father's death certificate you can apply for WW11 service records. I have them for my father who only served in WW11.

I applied to MOD along with death cert, it cost £30 and took about 3 months to arrive.

Have a look here for the application form https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
              Margaret
              Thankyou Margaret. Yes I do have my Father's W War 2 docs from MOD but only until 1944. I was told by MOD that the his records for 1945 were unavailable due to War activities. Unfortunately 1945 was the year my father was demobbed and took his pension after 22 years service. Whether or not that year will be available when the MOD releases the papers around 2020 or whether or not they are lost is an unknown at present.
              These records do not show marriage or children born so not sure if that is just the navy as other army records of earlier in the century show marriages and chidren;s births.

I have fired off another query to the Irish Embassy and applied for full length Birth Cert for my father, so I will collect all I can and then take stock. I should be able
              to apply in my own right for Irish Citizenship and my childen may then be able to apply under my umbrella. It is yet another steep learning curve in FH!

I only have short cheap Irish versions BND for Family History, but for something like this the long pricier versions are essential just in case anyone else is thinjing of doing the same.

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 28-02-18, 22:37.

Comment

Working...
              X