Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the mystery infant in a family grave ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the mystery infant in a family grave ?

I wonder if new eyes might be able to help me ?
    In a grave at Mossley church Congleton there are the following
    On the main headstone :-
    Alice Lancaster nee Davenport died 6/11/1945 aged 61
    Her husband Percy Lancaster died 1960
    Their son Cyril Lancaster died 1987 and his wife Winnie

Then on one of the long side kerbstones :-
    Also their daughters Annie Winifred Lancaster who died 8/10/1932 aged 14 and Alice Lancaster who died in infancy

On the other long side kerbstone :-
    Also Bromley Davenportbwho died in infancy

Now it's the Bromley Davenport I'm looking for . I've no idea whose child this is . I'm assuming it's possibly a Dvenport from Alice's family but try as I might I can't find him . The only Bromley Davenport I found was born and died in 1909 but he is buried in a Manchester cemetery and his parents seem to have no connection to my Davenports . All of Alice's siblings and her parents emigrated to Canada in 1911/12 so it can't be a baby from one of them . I've been looking into this little baby for ages . I just can't work out what he's doing in Alice and Percy's grave .

Any suggestions from anyone on here would be most welcome . Thankyou for looking
    Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Does it say that he is buried in the grave? I had a problem with Grandparents' headstone which mentioned two of their daughters who had died many years previously and buried hundreds of miles away, then I realised that it was "in memory of."

SS

Comment

I also wondered if he was actually in the grave. I went to look at a gravestone once and saw that it had the name added of a son, who I knew was buried abroad. It didn't give any indication that he wasn't actually in the grave.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

No it just says also Bromley Davenport who died in infancy but it's the same on the other side but there it says also their daughters ..... Which shows they are their children and I'm assuming in the grave with the others . However there is no date for Bromley nor for their daughter Alice who died in infancy too . Though I did find baby Alice Lancaster born and died in 1922,.
        I find it odd that no relationship is given for Bromley ?

Liz

Comment

image.jpg
          Sorry no idea why that came on upside down !
          Liz

image.jpg
          Last edited by congletonian; 26-02-18, 18:07. Reason: Another photo

Comment

Try this one from UKBMD. GRO online index says was aged 1 year.
            DAVENPORT William Bromley 1907 - Congleton Cheshire

He may not have been registered with the middle name, perhaps he got it baptism. Here are the two possible births. Does either MMS mean anything to you?

DAVENPORT, WILLIAM mms POINTON
            GRO Reference: 1906 M Quarter in CONGLETON Volume 08A Page 291
            DAVENPORT, WILLIAM mms GEE
            GRO Reference: 1907 J Quarter in CONGLETON Volume 08A Page 291
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 26-02-18, 18:15.

Comment

Yes Galloway lass I did wonder about him but I can't find his parents . I've looked on ancestry hoping for a baptism but no luck so far . It would help if I could find Bromleys parents then I could try to tie him in to some of Alice's cousins perhaps . I've been wondering who went into the grave first ? The main headstone has Alice Lancaster nee Davenport first who died in 1945 . It would help maybe if I had a date of death for Bromley .
              Liz

Comment

I've given up trying to put on the grave photos as they only appear upside down . Sorry

Liz

Comment

Actually scrub the second birth as the death was 2q so the 1907 child was barely a few months old by then. That leaves the first one.

Comment

These are the only two marriages with a male DAVENPORT to a female POINTON I could find on a complete UKBMD search with soundex on. Neither in Cheshire though.

DAVENPORT Charles POINTON Caroline 1882 Biddulph, St Lawrence Staffordshire Newcastle-Under-Lyme 4C/3/21
                    DAVENPORT John A POINTON Sarah A 1889 Tunstall, Christ Church Staffordshire Stoke-On-Trent

Comment

I've been having this problem with my photos ,seems they come out upside down ,if you have the printer set on landscape? could that be your problem
                      Last edited by Guest; 26-02-18, 18:35.

Comment

Now this interesting. Found it on ancestry version of birth index. It has full name to match the one in death index. It is a match for the one with mms POINTON

Name: William Bromley Davenport
                        Registration Year: 1906
                        Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
                        Registration district: Congleton
                        Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
                        Inferred County: Cheshire
                        Volume: 8a
                        Page: 291
                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 26-02-18, 18:42.

Comment

on FMP there is a Wm Bromley Davenport born 1906 Congleton mmn Pointon
                          died 1907 Congleton.aged 1

There are a few Davenports with the middle name Bromley in the Macclesfield, Nantwich and Congleton areas.
                          Last edited by Janet H.; 26-02-18, 18:44.

Comment

The combination of DAVENPORT and POINTON also had a Charles, James and Harry plus an Alice, Annie, Ellen, Lucy, Mary, Sarah Jane and an Elsie up to 1911. Censuses should tell you which were to John and Sarah and which to Charles and Caroline.

Comment

Turned it round!
                              Attached Files
                              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Galloway lass . That's really interesting . Alice's mothers maiden name was Pointon Caroline so is it possible that William Bromley Davenport was Alice's brother then ? But why wouldn't he have the William on the grave stone ? Was he just known as Bromley as he was only a baby of 1 when he died ? You've certainly opened this up for me and I'm really grateful . I don't know why I couldn't find the mothers maiden name . Of course I suppose I should check the other Davenport / Pointon couple out too but I'm beginning to think this could be the answer . I know when Caroline died over in Canada that her obituary said she and Charles had had 13 children but only 8 survived .
                                Thankyou for your help
                                Also thankyou to Elaine for turning my photo round x

Comment

Thankyou Janet . This really helps . I only have Ancestry sub and that didn't give mothers surname . I sometimes wonder if findmypast would be better ?
                                  Liz

Comment

Have you got cemetery or burial records to see who is actually in the grave? Sometimes people were buried in separate graves in the same place, and all commemorated on the same monument. Sometimes cemetery records have the plot number, so you can cross check other known burials as you look at them. Fmp does have some plot registers, i know they do for bowden. Lists who owned the plot and everyone buried in it.

Comment

No Kyle I haven't got the burial register for Holy Trinity church Mossley Congleton . I think they might be at the cheshirecrecord office but would find my past have them too . That's a good idea if I could get details of who is actually buried in the grave .

Thankyou
                                      Liz

Comment

Originally posted by congletonian View Post
                                        Thankyou Janet . This really helps . I only have Ancestry sub and that didn't give mothers surname . I sometimes wonder if findmypast would be better ?
                                        Liz
                                        Liz, did you know that mother's maiden names are available from 1837 to 1916 now on the GRO index for free?
                                        Anne

Comment

Working...
                                        X