gilmores co. down ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gilmores co. down ireland

have found my gt.gt.grandfather David Gilmore married to Mary Smith 14.3.1870 Tullycore Co. Down.
    Mary was from Derryboy, killyleagh. His father was also David and I have a few possibilities for him.
    There are so many David Gilmore that it could be, I don't know which one. He may have been born in Tullycore or Ballydorn co. Down or from Scotland, born about 1840.
    My father was born Belfast, but family from Ballydorn , Tullycore, Donaghadee. All co. Down.
    many thanks.

I think you need to give us a lot more information to ensure we research the correct people.

What are you certain of? Who were your Gilmore grandparents? Have you all the birth, marriage and death certificates for them? We need to work backwards.
    Post a few details and we will see what we can do to help.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

my grandparents - David Gilmore/Mary Jane Morrison - married 12.4.1905 Donaghadee co. down ireland.
      His father a farmer, mary's a publican.
      David was born 1872 - his father David - mother Mary Smyth - at Tullycore, Co. Down
      Sarah Gilmore born 1871 - father David - mother Mary Smyth - at Tullycore. Co.Down
      david Gilmore married Mary Smyth 14.3.1870 - Tullycore - Mary came from Derryboy - Killyleagh.
      His father was also David.

There is a David Tingley Gilmore - born 1840 - father William H. Gilmore.
      A David Gilmore was born in Scotland in 1939 but apparently lived in the area.

Would love to know how to connect more with David and wife Mary Smyth but don't know how.
      Just learning computer this year and about my family. So far its been great. many thanks, jeanj.
      -

Comment

Hiya Jean and welcome to Family Tree Forum

Have you seen these....

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGFH-RH4

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...dancy/2FBY-DXG
        Jacky

Comment

I note a death for David Gilmore at Tullycore on 26.9.1885 aged 56. Informant was widow Mary. You can view that on the irishgenealogy site. https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

The tithe applotment records for Killinchy show a David Gilmore farming in the townland in 1833, so that suggests the family were established there then. (I also note a second Gilmore family farming there at the same time).

Killinchy Non Subscribing Presbyterian church has baptism records from 1812 onwards. Might be worth checking them for David’s baptism. (Copy in PRONI).

PRONI have records of a John Gillmore of Tullycore whose will was probated in 1787 and a David Gillmer of Tullycore whose will was probated in 1799. So the family were there in the 1700s. Probably arrived with the main waves of Scots in the 1600s.

Also noted this document in PRONI which mentions David Gillmer:

SCH/622/8/6/2A 17 August 1843
          Conveyance from James Dickson, of Tullycore, Co. Down, 1st part, Robert Potter Esq. of Ardview, Patrick Lowry of Ballygigan, Samuel Morrow of Moorhall, Michael Campbell of Tullycore, Thomas Taylor McKee of Ballymacronwell, John Spratt of Killinchy, David Gilmer of Tullycore, John Moore of Islandbawn, William Stewart of Ringhaddy and Robert Clarke of Ballymacarron, members of the committee of Tullycore School, 2nd part and James Bailie Esq. of Ringdufferin, Co. Down, 3rd part, of land on which Tullycore School is situated. Consideration 5 [Original]
          Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

yes thank you. Its the family search LDS which has got me this far. Learning computer so even answering you not
            too easy for me. I just keep pressing keys till something happens!
            thank again, jean j

Comment

thank you so much for all that info. The death in 1885 was my gt. gt. grandfather. The older records don't seem to have
              the mothers or wife's names. When it just says David its hard to work out. I think I know what you mean about second
              family, and sometimes I seem to have gone off the beaten track. Good to hear about the wills. Just learning the
              computer. I went to the farm at Ballydorn as a child about 66 years ago. Also met the "old aunt Annie" in Donaghadee.
              Been in Australia 54 years so lost touch with Ireland as all relatives dead.
              Would be lovely to reconnect with some cousins, etc. Not sure how to PM reply as you asked but here goes. jean j

Comment

its me again. you mentioned Killinchy Non Subscribing Presbyterian church. In the records I saw someone was "a non
                subscribing presbyterian". I thought it meant non-practising. Was that the name of the church? I notice all the
                Gilmores were Presbyterian.
                thanks again. Jean j

Comment

Non subscribing doesn’t mean they didn’t attend church. It’s the name of a separate denomination of Presbyterianism. Non Subscribing Presbyterians (NSP) don’t subscribe to the Westminster Confession of Faith (which other Presbyterians follow). They don’t believe in the Trinity, and instead believe there is one unified spiritual being (God, if you like). They are sometimes known as Unitarians because of this belief in a Unity rather than a Trinity. They also don’t proselytize, so have no missionaries.

The Presbyterian church in Killinchy split in 1835 with some members leaving to establish an NSP church. So there are 2 sets of records post 1835. The NSP took the old records with them so they have the pre 1835 mainstream Presbyterian records. This is what the PRONI catalogue says they hold for the NSP church:

CR/4/17; D1759/1D

[Includes records relating to Killinchy Presbyterian
                  Church prior to the setting up of the Non-Subscribing
                  Presbyterian Church in 1835]
                  Baptisms, 1812-54; marriages, 1813-45 (with gaps);
                  indexes to baptisms and marriages, 1812-54; marriage
                  notice book, 1845-54; pew rent book, c.1785; accounts,
                  1781-1835 ; lists of names of heads of families and
                  their children, 1841; printed list of stipend payers,
                  1881-2; typescript history of the church,

I can search those records for you but would need to charge for my time.
                  Last edited by Elwyn; 26-02-18, 16:40.
                  Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X