X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Maritime Museum

Hi Everyone ..

Can anyone please advise ?

I'm trying to discover what happened to my 2 x great grandfather, who was a master mariner.
    I know where he was up until August 1874 .. and then nothing for either him, or the ship he brought back to port in Swansea.
    I know the registered No. of the ship .. and his seaman's certificate No.
    I believe that the Maritime Museum in London has all the records of ships and their crews ..
    But because I don't know whether he died at sea / abroad .. or changed his name and ran off with another woman ..
    I don't know if the Museum will have any information for me ?

So I'm wondering (before going to the expense of a trip down to London, etc ..) if it's possible to pay someone there to look into the records on my behalf ?
    I'd love to explore the records myself .. but would hate to waste my time & money on a completely fruitless trip.

Has anyone had a similar dilemma ??

I presume you mean the Maritime Museum at Greenwich? I have searched for mariners there with some success as one of mine was attached to the Greenwich Hospital. now Greenwich College but it did take a bit of finding and a lot of searching. It is not the easiest place for research and it could be pot luck for you. Have you thought about giving the museum a ring or sending an e mail general enquy first. You would be annoyed if you ended up on an expensive trip to London and then not get what you wanted.But it can be a goldmine of information as I found the father of the person I was interested and all the ships he served on as well so you can strike very lucku.

Janet.

Comment

Granting of Master's Certificates is sometimes published in the London Gazette. One of mine is (1849). I'm sure there's a searchable register online but it's a long time since I last found it.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
      X