Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mothers Maiden name on births from 1837

how long has this been on FMP ?

it's very recent .............. they're picking it up from the new GRO Index
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I don't think its complete yet .... a work in progress. I wonder if they are correcting mistakes. I have found a few on the GRO index itself.
      Anne

Comment

brilliant though isn't it ?

Comment

It was announced last month in their newsletter.

Comment

but GRO Index is free, as is Freebmd for after 1916
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

yes but if you have FMP anyway Sylvia ,its much easier, dont have to only look between two years for a start.

Comment

True!

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  yes but if you have FMP anyway Sylvia ,its much easier, dont have to only look between two years for a start.
                  Or search by gender.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Is there some system on which they are rolling it out? I haven't come across any on FMP yet. It will be much easier than going through the GRO index, although I have got quite slick with the searches. I usually do a similar search at the same time on FreeBMD so I can see which registration district I need to try on the GRO site.
                    Anne
                    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 27-02-18, 15:33.

Comment

oh yes Janet that too, its so much quicker. Anne I just tried some later ones but no mothers maiden name mentioned? wonder if they are going up in years?

Comment

Think that must be it, Val
                        Anne
                        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 27-02-18, 22:18.

Comment

I like the GRO Index, but also use Freebmd to check registration districts.

But after all searching GRO on birth year +/- 2 actually means you search 4 years at once, eg 1874 +/-2 covers the years 1872 to 1876.

I find the search goes quite quickly, and you can even cover misspelled names by specifying Similar Sounding Variations for the surname.

Having said that, I haven't tried searching on FMP on mmn because none of the names I've been interested have been transcribed on to there!

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                            I like the GRO Index, but also use Freebmd to check registration districts.

But after all searching GRO on birth year +/- 2 actually means you search 4 years at once, eg 1874 +/-2 covers the years 1872 to 1876.

I find the search goes quite quickly, and you can even cover misspelled names by specifying Similar Sounding Variations for the surname.

Having said that, I haven't tried searching on FMP on mmn because none of the names I've been interested have been transcribed on to there!
                            I think it is a 5 year search actually - the year selected plus 2 either side. 1872 -1876 is 5 full years.
                            Margaret
                            Last edited by margaretmarch; 28-02-18, 06:17.

Comment

Yes, not being very numerate I usually choose to select 1850 +/-2 and then 1855; 1860 etc. You can actually do it quite quickly but have to keep reminding myself to do both male and female for each.
                              It has helped me so much, so not complaining! Also the age at death from 1837 ..... fantastic help.
                              Anne

Comment

agree about the age of death, saved me from sending for the wrong certs a few times.

Comment

Working...
                                X