Mothers' names at last ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mothers' names at last ...

... to appear on certificates. It's getting closer anyway.

Only fathers of newly-weds go on the register in England and Wales but ministers say this is outdated.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

shame it wont help us much, be great for future genealogists.

Comment

Not quick enough for my son's wedding next week, but both us mums have been asked to be witnesses as they would like all four parents' names on the certificate.

Comment

My Sister got my Dads permission,as she was under age ,then he changed his mind, but she got married anyway, and my Dad never found out that my Mum had been at the Wedding, and whats more had been a witness.

Comment

Long overdue, but a great shame it means there will be no more marriage registers.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
            Long overdue, but a great shame it means there will be no more marriage registers.
            Why not??

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
              Why not??
              Because as part of the changes (and to save the cost of withdrawing and replacing thousands of existing registers) the system is changing over to the one currently used for civil partnerships which doesn't include a physical written register.

At the ceremony, the couple will be given a form (a marriage schedule) signed by the registrar/vicar to confirm the marriage took place - they will then take that to the regsiter office where the details will be completed on a computer system and certificates subsequently issued.

So, on the day - no "signing the register" moment (although I'm sure a suitably faked photo can still be posed), and no marriage certificates.
              Last edited by AntonyM; 03-02-18, 14:02.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
              X