PDF certificates trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF certificates trial

How long does it take for a PDF from GRO take to arrive in your account inbox?

The aim is 5 working days .

If you check in "My Orders" on the GRO website, it will give the estimated despatch date - most will arrive on that date, although occasionally sooner.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks Anthony. I had hoped it was same or one day. Will just have to be patient.

Comment

Ha! No quicker than paper really but much cheaper so guess we can't complain.
        Anne

Comment

I found it took more or less the same time. I thought it would have been quicker.

Comment

Me too as I thought the certificates in the trial were the ones already imaged for the previously abandoned Dove project.

Comment

I suspect - but don't know - that because it is a trial, only a few members of staff have been seconded to it and it is that causing the delay. I would hope it will be a lot quicker if they decide to keep it as a permanent feature.

OC

Comment

Works wonders for international orders. Can get them in a week, instead of two for postage.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                  How long does it take for a PDF from GRO take to arrive in your account inbox?

Far too long.

Because the system is manual it requires staff to process it rather than a computer this takes time.
                  The entire system is against Government direction to reduce burdens (on departments and the public), we are in the 21st century and it is about time the GRO engaged themselves in 21st century technology and practices.

Both systems (the paper certificates and the digital images) could be completely computerised up to the point of the paper certificates being collected by the mail company of choice.
                  There is no valid reason why a system could not locate the required record, check then either print, fold, stuff envelope and frank the paper certificate or email the digital image to the purchaser.

There are two reasons why this does not happen:
                  1) Lack of competence in computer systems, possibly due to designing systems based on cost rather than aptitude.
                  2) Fear that a digital system will mean staff reductions.

If the UK is going to regain some of its position in the world both of those reasons must be quickly addressed.

Cheers
                  Guy
                  Last edited by Guy; 02-02-18, 08:15. Reason: spelling
                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Certainly some Australian states offer instant downloads of BMD certificates with no difficulty.

Presumably the GRO are short of money for putting the required IT systems in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                      Certainly some Australian states offer instant downloads of BMD certificates with no difficulty.

Presumably the GRO are short of money for putting the required IT systems in place.
                      Scotland and northern ireland too. From what i remember in previous threads about this, there was some legal issue with doing it this way.

Comment

Working...
                      X