Electoral Roll Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electoral Roll Puzzle

I have been finding the West Yorkshire ERs on Ancestry useful but come across a puzzle here https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...331_0184-00158

The Strutt family at 36 Close Street appear to have registered their children to vote! This is the 1932/33 Electoral Roll but James and Ellen (nee Blackburn) children were born Joseph (1917), Jack (1920), and Gladys (1925). I have tested some of the other family groups with less common names on the nearby pages but have not found any others so young. The same entry appears in 1933/34 too.

Do you think this was just an error on the part of the person filling in the form?

Anne

No one got any bright ideas about why these children are listed in the Electoral Roll? Lots of you have looked!

Comment

As you say, an error.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
        As you say, an error.
        My thoughts too.

Comment

perhaps they thought they were filling in the census!!

Comment

Thanks. I'm surprised it went through to print, not just one year, either! I guess we are so used to form filling and automated pre printed Electoral Rolls, multiple checking etc. I wonder what the process of getting on the ER was in the 1930s. Anyway.... it helped my study of this part of the family! ;)
            Anne

Comment

Present day local authorities don't have exclusive rights to cock-ups!
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
              X