gro/archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gro/archives

I have a free months trial with gro/archives but cant find anything for myself but if anybody else wants me to look for something I will do

I've never heard of them Gloryer. Can you give us a link to the website please?
    Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
      I've never heard of them Gloryer. Can you give us a link to the website please?
      Anne

I wondered that as well Anne.
      I thought Gloryer might be referring to the digitised microfilms but they are free at
      https://tinyurl.com/hjanyy6

Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Trace your genealogy and family tree to learn more about your family's history today.

I went to go onto GRO to see if I could maybe find the birth certificate for Maria Butler a I have her actual birthdate according to the 1939 register. If I remember rightly you used to be able to order a certificate and stipulate certain things like fathers name or mothers name to get the correct one if you didnt have the reference number. Thats what I was looking for but this one came up instead. Its connected to ancestry I think so not sure if its the same as the ~GRO website

Comment

Yes it does say it is pary of the Ancestry 'family'. Definitely NOT the government GRO website.
          What is the date of birth of the person whose certificate you are searching for?if it was before 1915 you should be able to get it as a PDF for £6 from the GRO website.

Anne
          Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 24-01-18, 19:37.

Comment

thank you ann.
            never been able to find a registration of her birth or anywhere on 1871 census so was hoping that if I have the right birth date they may be able to find it
            she may not have been registered as maria
            Last edited by gloryer; 24-01-18, 20:06.

Comment

are you not wanting to put the details on here ? I'm a bit bored.

Comment

Maria BUTLER b 15 jan 1870 woolwich
                in 1881 she is in metropolitan district school with brother charles BUTLER b 1867 woolwich.
                At first glance she appears to be living in a caravan on 1871 in hampstead but that isnt her as that one later marries a SHURETY and is on a later census with her in-laws. Mine married William Pearson. She was baptised before she left the school and on the baptism and her marriage quotes her father as William. I went to london last year and went through the archives, the minutes of the meetings etc and nothing showed up for her. Her brother Charles was a bit of a character though as he was returned to the school for bad behaviour.

Comment

if only Charles BUTLER wasnt such a common name I may have been able to establish what happened to him!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                    Yes it does say it is pary of the Ancestry 'family'. Definitely NOT the government GRO website.
                    What is the date of birth of the person whose certificate you are searching for?if it was before 1915 you should be able to get it as a PDF for £6 from the GRO website.

Anne
                    you need the gro ref number to use the PDF system

Comment

Gloryer .......

I had to pour water on your find, but birth dates are NOT always correct in the 1939 Register.

I've come across a lot that are out ........ it's usually the year that is wrong, but not always

My own grandfather lied about his birth date from the day of his marriage to his death, and the 1939 Register is no different. You will never find him if you look for 25 Dec 1884

His wife gives her correct birth date and year, even though she also lied on her marriage certificate
                      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Sorry, I had forgotten your previous searches. Sylvia is right, people were unsure, evasive or just downright lied about their birth year but quite often the day and month can be correct. What if she was born in Jan 1872 and just missed the census?
                        The fact that she and her brother were in a school, possibly an 'industrial school' suggests they had a troubled upbringing. If they were illegitimate they may not have been registered with the name Butler at all. Do they appear to have any other siblings? Have you ever found her brother's birth registration?
                        Anne

Comment

thats all I know about them, they first appear on 1881 census.

Comment

What was her mother's maiden name Gloryer?
                            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I dont know Kat as her first appearance is on the 1881 in metropolitan district school then she married in 1890

Comment

Just for info if you haven't got it. The Creed Register for Plumstead Workhouse has Charles, 12 and Maria 8 being admitted to the Workhouse on the 17/01/1878. They came in from the parish of East Woolwich, no relatives, illegitimate. They were the informants. In discharge column says New/Register? Then onto South Metropolitan Schools at Sutton on 25/01/1878.

Vera
                                Last edited by vera2013; 25-01-18, 08:34.

Comment

wow thank you vera, first time anybody brought that one up

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                    Just for info if you haven't got it. The Creed Register for Plumstead Workhouse has Charles, 12 and Maria 8 being admitted to the Workhouse on the 17/01/1878. They came in from the parish of East Woolwich, no relatives, illegitimate. They were the informants. In discharge column says New/Register? Then onto South Metropolitan Schools at Sutton on 25/01/1878.

Vera
                                    just been thinking about this!! Rather sad then as that would mean they may have admitted themselves. I have an image of 2 urchins knocking on the door!!

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                                      https://www.archives.com/uk/
                                      I went to go onto GRO to see if I could maybe find the birth certificate for Maria Butler a I have her actual birthdate according to the 1939 register. If I remember rightly you used to be able to order a certificate and stipulate certain things like fathers name or mothers name to get the correct one if you didnt have the reference number. Thats what I was looking for but this one came up instead. Its connected to ancestry I think so not sure if its the same as the ~GRO website
                                      That explains it Gloryer, the website to posted is one of the Ancestry sites, while Ancestry may be a resonable site to use for census and various other records never use it to order any Birth, Marriage or Death certificates, you will pay far more using that route than going direct to the GRO website

If you need the GRO reference to order a certificate use FreeBMD at https://www.freebmd.org.uk/search that will give you the details to order the certificates
                                      Cheers
                                      Guy
                                      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                                        just been thinking about this!! Rather sad then as that would mean they may have admitted themselves. I have an image of 2 urchins knocking on the door!!
                                        That's what I thought. Very sad. No wonder Charles played up a bit at his posting. I wonder what the story is.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                        X