Thomas Norris Baptised 19/02/1827 Naas, Kildare, Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Norris Baptised 19/02/1827 Naas, Kildare, Ireland

Can anybody give me an idea why the above baptism from Ancestry only states the fathers name "Dominick Norris" 58th Regiment but does not mention a mothers name? There is only a sponsor ??? Jane?
    Dominick went on to have seven more children in Naas, where the mother Sara Darby is mentioned. Could it be because she would have been about 16 when Thomas was born?? There was another Thomas amongst the seven children.
    Thanks for any help.
    Phil

Lazy priest? Misogynist priest? Whatever the reason, I doubt it had anything to do with the mother's age, nothing wrong with being a mother at 16 in Ireland or anywhere else either.

OC

Comment

Yes I would agree there is nothing significant in there being no mother’s name. The priest probably couldn't remember it. Sometimes the priest forgot the child’s name too. If they did several baptisms, and didn’t make a note of all the details, mistakes and omissions would occur. I see them in parish registers regularly.
      Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. That would also explain why the next child was entered with a fathers name of Daniel instead of Dominick - all the other children have the correct names.
        A busy or just lazy priest.

Phil

Comment

Working...
        X