Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other than the 1851 Census, what other sources are available to find out where someone was in 1851? The person I am looking for appears on the 1841 census and the 1861 and subsequent censuses, but not on the 1851 census. This person would have been 11 in 1851. Thanks!

Why not put up the details so that people can look for you.

Comment

People have looked before under a thread I posted called Searching for a Man. The man was found and his name is Philip Dolan, or Dolana, or Doland depending where you look. His whereabouts in 1851 is the last piece in the jig saw. He was christened at Wortley, Penistone,York on 30 Aug 1840, and appears in the 1841 census. I am hoping to find sources that I haven't searched before, for 1851.

Comment

do you know who Hannah Bamford is with him in 1841

Comment

Hannah is Philip's maternal grandmother. It is likely she brought him up.

Comment

I cannot find him in 1861 what name is he under?

Comment

1861 https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...iv=1&ml_rpos=4

the others are all listed here except 1851 census. post no 6 on previous thread
              https://www.familytreeforum.com/show...hing-for-a-man!
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

It is possible that he is on the 1851, but under a badly mistranscribed name ............ or even assigned to the previous household and thus showing with a different surname.

I've had experience of finding people with such mistakes.

There could also be the possibility of him having moved to Lancashire and be there for 1851 ....... and the 1851 census for certain areas of Lancashire were badly damaged by water. These records were mainly for Manchester and Oldham areas ........... very close to the Pennines and I have many ancestors who moved from Yorkshire to Lancashire around that time.

Many of the records have been very carefully transcribed, but many are also still indecipherable
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

If he's from west Yorkshire you need to know that some of the 1851 census for that area was water damaged and as far as I know does not exist. My ggg grandfather was in Dodworth at the time, the whole village is missing in 1851, and he died in January 1861 (very inconsiderately) so it was a long and roundabout search for me to find his birthplace.
                  Anne
                  Edit ..... ooops, sorry Sylvia I didn't see you made the same point.
                  Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 14-01-18, 22:34.

Comment

In the 1851 census, Hannah Bamford is living as a lodger in Buxton ( her daughter married and moved there. No mention of Philip but the 1861 census shows a Philip D Doland living in Buxton. Sometime between 1861 and 1871 Philip changed his name from Dolan to Bamford. Hope hat helps!

Comment

How sure are you that this Philip on 1861 census is yours? He is shown as Philip D DONALD not Doland , blacksmith from Wortley.
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hi Kev,

yes it's irritating when you can't find a specific person in any of the census but sometimes you just have to accept that they aren't to be found. I have my gt grt gran that I cannot find at all before 1871 in london [but I know that some of the census are missing from london in 1861]

I have just checked his birth again and the Wortley one does show that MMN is BAMFORD... did you ever purchase this? [you can order a PDF from GRO for £6 if you didn't know]

DOLAND, PHILIP MMN BAMFORD Order GRO Reference: 1840 J Quarter in WORTLEY UNION Volume 22 Page 734

[just tried doing the same search under Dolana and nothing is showing up]
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie. I will order the document today. I have another lead as well. Philip Bamford and Anne had 9 children, 7 of which survived. I am descended from one of his sons. I had my DNA tested at Ancestry. The results, which came this morning, show a descendent of one of his other children. The family trees match exactly. I will get in touch with this person and ask if they have discovered the whereabouts of Philip in 1851.

Comment

MMN? What is that please?

Comment

Mother's Maiden Name = mmn
                              Anne

Comment

Mothers maiden name

I wondered as the possible grandma and mother were in Buxton in 1851 that Philip may have been in the Workhouse Infirmary/Fever Hospital in 1851. However when browsing the 1851 census for Chapel en le Frith, the workhouse records are not recorded.

I can see a death for possible grandmother Hannah Bamford in 1858 Buxton

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by Thetallone View Post
                                  MMN? What is that please?
                                  sorry Kev MMN [Mothers maiden name]

was re reading the 'other' thread to familiarise myself again with what we found. :smilee:
                                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Thetallone View Post
                                    Hi Julie. I will order the document today. I have another lead as well. Philip Bamford and Anne had 9 children, 7 of which survived. I am descended from one of his sons. I had my DNA tested at Ancestry. The results, which came this morning, show a descendent of one of his other children. The family trees match exactly. I will get in touch with this person and ask if they have discovered the whereabouts of Philip in 1851.
                                    be sure to use the official GRO site too..
                                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                      Mothers maiden name

I wondered as the possible grandma and mother were in Buxton in 1851 that Philip may have been in the Workhouse Infirmary/Fever Hospital in 1851. However when browsing the 1851 census for Chapel en le Frith, the workhouse records are not recorded.

I can see a death for possible grandmother Hannah Bamford in 1858 Buxton

Vera
                                      good idea Vera!
                                      Julie

Comment

if he served as an apprentice perhaps there would be some record of where and when this was? praps he was apprenticed to a blacksmith in Lancs which is why he can't be found in 1851? [just clutching at straws really!] Not sure exactly where or how to search those records though!
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X