Adopted daughters natural family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adopted daughters natural family

I have an adopted daughter with a family, and want to add her biological family to her in my Ancestry Tree, is this possible, I cannot work out how to do it.

I think you will have to add her twice, as if she was two different people, but with an explanation in the notes that a and b are the same person.

OC

Comment

oh I see thanks OC, shall try that

Comment

If you go to your daughter's profile, edit relationships - you can add another mother (&/or father) with a different relationship. I think choices include biological, adopted, step.

But I think Ancestry's display of the family that results is not satisfactory. As I recall when you look at the daughter's profile, only one mother displays. I think you can choose which one that is. Been quite a while since I played with it, so besides my memory (!) they could have changed how the software handles it.

Comment

thanks Photo you would think they would build that in to the programme, I'm wondering why she got adopted as I have found her with her siblings later on.

Comment

Val

There was no legal adoption before 1927, so even if people adopted a child, there was nothing to stop the natural parents reclaiming the child at any point. One of the many reasons adoption laws were passed in 1926. I am just reading a fascinating book about adoption through the ages. It was a free for all really and anything could happen to the child. Possibly the only time in history when older children were popular as adoptees, because you could work an older child to death and then "adopt" another one.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              thanks Photo you would think they would build that in to the programme, .
              It is quite easy to work the adoptive child's family into the tree. Edit the daughters relationships. Add her natural parents as alternative mother/father and label them biological parents and her adoptive parents as Adopted. When you want to add to her natural tree go back to Edit relationships and click on "set as preferred".

adopted parents.JPG
              Last edited by Katarzyna; 09-01-18, 16:55.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

btw Val, are you still getting all this at the top of Ancestry? Still driving me mad :(

Kat

Comment

This couple were quite well off OC and not found the parents as yet, just her with her siblings, I love a mystery.
                  Kat when I click on that it says invalid attachment , if you mean the banner across the top about the Ts&Cs no, I finally got an answer from Ancestry and sorted it, are you still getting it ?

Comment

Yes Val. Pm me instructions please!!!
                    Kat

Comment

what is your email Kat I'll forward their email to me to you

Comment

Oooh me too please. I have read the terms and conditions but the banner still comes across the top every time I open a new page. I will PM my email address if that's OK.
                        Anne

Comment

have pm'd you Val
                          Kat

Comment

both on their way, do hope it works for you both, did me

Comment

Ha ha ha!! I worked through the Ancestry suggestions and now ....... I have two bars instead of one!!
                              Oh dear, not your fault Val. Hopefully they will go away in the end.
                              Anne

Comment

oh no thats odd Kat got rid of her two with that link, have you tried turning off your ad blocker ,if you are using one first, Kat said hers was affecting it. then turn it back on after you have done the steps suggested.

Comment

I did turn the ad blocker off but it made no difference. Never mind, I just scroll the page up a bit and it hides the banners! Thanks for trying to help, much appreciated!
                                  Anne

Comment

I'd contact Ancestry then they will sort it their end, funny how yours wont go .

Comment

To be honest I hate clearing everything out. I always forget it will need a phone call from the bank to be able to sign in again and finding all the passwords etc! Its a right pain so I'm thinking the banners are a lesser evil!
                                      Anne

Comment

funny enough when I did it I did not lose any passwords? thought I would, wonder if Kat did.

Comment

Working...
                                        X