Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry White

Hi,

I’m wondering if anybody could help me with my research into my family tree. I’ve currently reached a dead-end on my paternal great-great-grandfather, Henry William White.

Just a few facts that I do know about him. Henry according to the 1911 Census was born in 1866 in Burley, Hampshire and was a fish dealer. He married his wife Edith Augusta Waters (nee Morgan) in the first few months of that year, and her younger son Frederick E Waters from a previous marriage, lived with them in Ringwood, Hampshire according to the census. Henry and Edith had a son born in the November of 1911, William who is my great-grandfather, I believe they had no further children.

From what can be deduced, Henry never left Hampshire for all his life, dying there in 1917, in his early 50s. His wife Edith, born in Birmingham, grew up in Northamptonshire, started a family in London, relocated to Hampshire before her first husband’s death, she never remarried after Henry’s death and died in 1955 back in London.

From my research I have not been able to find any definitive information about Henry’s whereabouts before 1911. He was around 45 when he married and had his son, which could mean that he may have previously been married. I have researched into Henry White’s in the local area, finding one 2-3 years older than Henry who was married to an Ellen Briant and cared for his niece, Mary. The marriage index confirms it is a Henry William White, but even then I have been unable to find any more clues into Henry’s ancestry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Burley is under the New Forest Registration District.

My aunt lived there.

I haven't got time to look further but that might help.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Only one I can see is Henry Arthur White born Q2 1867.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

What name and occupation does he give for his father on the marriage certificate please?
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
          What name and occupation does he give for his father on the marriage certificate please?
          I have not yet received his marriage certificate, it has been ordered, hopefully that will have some more information

Comment

I think you need to wait for it to come Alex and then give us the details. Hopefully, if he knew (or told the truth) about his father it should narrow things down a lot. Unfortunately it isn't an uncommon name and there are quite a lot of possibilities in 1871 at the moment.

Comment

The marriage cert will show whether or not he had been previously married, which will also help with tracking him.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                Only one I can see is Henry Arthur White born Q2 1867.
                I'm wondering about whether the name is correct. It is interesting that it was his wife Edith who completed the 1911 census form not Henry. I would be inclined to purchase the birth cert of their son William as well as Henry's marriage cert. Or do you have that already, Alex?

Edit: I cannot find any Henry/William White born Hampshire (with no date of birth) as a fish trader either. He might of course not have been trading as one in 1901.
                Will be interesting to see what occupation he gives on the certs.
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 08-01-18, 13:27.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                  I'm wondering about whether the name is correct. It is interesting that it was his wife Edith who completed the 1911 census form not Henry. I would be inclined to purchase the birth cert of their son William as well as Henry's marriage cert. Or do you have that already, Alex?

Edit: I cannot find any Henry/William White born Hampshire (with no date of birth) as a fish trader either. He might of course not have been trading as one in 1901.
                  Will be interesting to see what occupation he gives on the certs.
                  My grandmother, the daughter of William is still alive, she originally confirmed to me that Henry's middle name was William, but that was all she knew. William of course was no older than six when his father died, and as far as I'm aware knew little about his father. So all information about Henry is having to be confirmed via records. Due to this, I've never really disputed his middle name, but I'm guessing that if he put down his name as Henry William White on the marriage certificate (the marriage index has him as Henry W White), it would have been this way on the birth certificate of William. Nevertheless, I'm finding him incredibly difficult to locate and if I have little luck with the marriage certificate, I might get William's birth certificate out of desperation.

Comment

Hello Alex

It might be that he transposed his names or even invented a 'middle' name, I'm not saying that your grandmother is wrong, but she might not know the full facts or truth but only go by what she was told. Does your grandmother have a copy of her dads certs that you could copy? birth/marriage or death?

I have several instances of relatives that have a christian/middle name and hated the christian name so used the middle instead. Also I have marriage certs that name the father of either the bride or groom has one name only to find them in the census/or other document with a totally different name!

I would strongly advise getting the birth cert as well, you do know that you can order a PDF of a birth cert from the GRO for £6? [they will upload the image for you to download to your computer]
                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 11-01-18, 08:48.
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Name: Henry W White
                      Death Age: 53
                      Birth Date: abt 1864
                      Registration Date: Mar 1917
                      Registration district: Ringwood
                      Inferred County: Hampshire
                      Volume: 2b
                      Page: 1247

if this is his death ref then the YOB is different to census. [though I do realise that the person that registered the death may or may not know exactly when the person was born]
                      Julie

Comment

hmmm

Ellen Briant b. 1859 godshill. Servant [unm] Crown Hotel

1881: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...iv=1&ml_rpos=7
                        Source Citation
                        Class: RG11; Piece: 1198; Folio: 20; Page: 1; GSU roll: 1341294

Ellen WHITE b. 1859 fordingbridge.
                        1891: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...try&h=26817669
                        Source Citation
                        The National Archives of the UK (TNA); Kew, Surrey, England; Census Returns of England and Wales, 1891; Class: RG12; Piece: 908; Folio: 67; Page: 18; GSU roll: 6096018
                        with husband Henry William and niece Mary.

1901: Ellen WHITE servant [m] @ CROWN HOTEL

coincidence? then 1910:

Name: Ellen White
                        Estimated birth year: abt 1859
                        Registration Year: 1910
                        Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
                        Age at Death: 51
                        Page: 447

which paves the way nicely for a 1911 marriage to Edith.
                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 11-01-18, 09:11.
                        Julie

Comment

Mary White b. 1886 [niece] could actually be Mary Eliza Briant b. 1886 Fordingbridge [no mothers MN shown in index]
                          GRO Reference: 1886 M Quarter in FORDINGBRIDGE Volume 02B Page 719
                          Julie

Comment

Oh well done Julie

Comment

Henry White with niece Mary [no wife listed though he is stated as married]

1901: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=try&h=1027899
                              Source Citation
                              Class: RG13; Piece: 1046; Folio: 11; Page: 14
                              Julie

Comment

Well done Julie.
                                I think you are correct but if it is him then his occupations don't help us much!
                                1891 Timber haulier
                                1901 Groom
                                1911 Fish dealer
                                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

this could be Mary White in 1911 as a servant in the South Western Hotel,

Source Citation
                                  Class: RG14; Piece: 5979; Schedule Number: 224
                                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                    Oh well done Julie
                                    Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                    Well done Julie.
                                    I think you are correct but if it is him then his occupations don't help us much!
                                    1891 Timber haulier
                                    1901 Groom
                                    1911 Fish dealer
                                    Thanks ladies.

I know what you mean re the occupations Kat, seems to be a right old mish mash!

I know that Alex said that he'd tracked this Henry/Ellen but he didn't say just how far he'd tracked them.. [I know I'm also presuming that Alex is a HE.. apologies if I am wrong] :smilee:
                                    Julie

Comment

Henry & Ellens marriage ref: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...iv=1&ml_rpos=2

Name: Henry William White
                                      Registration Year: 1885
                                      Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
                                      Page: 857

sp: Ellen Briant or Marion Sutherland
                                      Julie

Comment

Not sure that niece Mary is anything more than a niece though, if she is the one born upthread and Henry and Ellen married in 1885 there would be no need to say she was a niece if she was their natural daughter. So she may well be Ellen's sisters daughter afterall.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X