WW2 army records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 army records

Please could someone advise me of the address for applying for the army records of WW2 personnel. Also the cost.

My neighbour's father wants to find out about the military career of his father, who he believes served in WW1 as well as WW2.
    I've searched Ancestry & FMP & have found the MIC of the soldier (he was awarded the IGS medal with a Waziristan clasp for the 1921 campaign) and also an entry for a RA attestation dated Jan 1919. It suggests that he was also placed on the reserves list. Nothing further.
    I have found the man's wife and children on the 1939 register, but the man himself is missing from home and I suspect that if he was on the reservist list, then he may have already been called up.
    I think neighbour's father's best bet is to apply to the MOD for the service record, which I hope may also contain details of any WW1 service, if he stayed on in the army for a few years after his initial period of engagement.
    All help and suggestions welcome.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Get military records of service for the Royal Navy (including Royal Marines), British Army and Royal Air Force - who can apply, how long it takes, cost, how to apply.

Comment

Thanks Val - I knew you would know.

Do you think that will be his best option?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I would think so yes, but someone may know different. not sure what you have to send if its for his own Father, will have a look.

Comment

whats his name can you tell me by pm or does he want to keep it offline

this will be the page that applies to him says records date from 1920
          Get military records of service for the Royal Navy (including Royal Marines), British Army and Royal Air Force - who can apply, how long it takes, cost, how to apply.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-01-18, 23:47.

Comment

Thanks for all your help Val - I had a look at the online info and I think he would be able to apply. I will give him the web address and he can read the page and decide for himself.
            It says £30. Before contacting me, T, the man wanting to know, had tried the regimental museum and various online agencies and was quoted £50 by one website. I told him I thought that was overpriced and that his best bet was probably applying to the MOD, but I couldn't remember the website, although I knew some people who would know,(i.e. you good folk on here) I would seek advice and would get back to him. T's daughter had told him that I "helped people with their family history" and so he should ask for guidance as to where to go. LOL! What I found out in my preliminary search fitted in with what T had already been told by a sister - RA, service in India and a medal, but I think they had got the year of starting service wrong. As the soldier was born in mid 1899, he would not have been eligible for overseas service until the later part of the war.
            Thanks again for the info about the MOD site, Val

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

good luck, they can be can enlightening, dont know if you remember ,when I got my Fathers? turned out he was supposed to be in South Africa when I was conceived, still think somehow he came home .

Comment

Working...
              X