1891 & 1911 census. Ada M Youell please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1891 & 1911 census. Ada M Youell please

I am trying to find another Youell and all the mistranscriptions this throws up.

Ada Ma(r)y Youell, b. 1875 Camberwell to Edward and Annie
    In 1881 she is with her family
    In 1891, I cannot find her
    1900 resigned as assistant nurse in Orsett workhouse
    1901, working as a Maternity nurse in Dorking
    1911 ?
    1939 Torquay Devon travelling professional nurse.
    1951 Died in Kenilworth

She also lived in Bideford Devon prior to moving to Kenilworth.
    Although she asserts she is a professional nurse, I have not found her in the RCN archive records.
    She remained a spinster.

Please can anyone find her in 1891 and 1911. Thank you.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Mary Yowell Head Married Female 43 1848 London, Middlesex, England
    Ada Yowell Daughter Single Female 16 1875 Camberwell, Surrey, England
    Ethel Yowell Daughter Single Female 7 1884 Surrey, England
    Harry C Steel Boarder Single Male 25 1866 Ware Houseman Mantle Maker London, Middlesex, England
    in Trafalgar Road Camberwell

Comment

Oh Val. you come up trumps so many times. Thank you. I had tried finding Mary (2nd wife) and her daughter but couldn't find them, but forgot to try the wildcards. But this is them all together at the family home in Trafalgar Rd. Husband/father was in St Thomas' hospital at time of census. Once again thanks
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

glad its the right one
        now for 1911 not sure this is right

James Downing Head Married Male Wool Brokers Clerk 36 1875 London Camberwell
        Florence Downing Wife Married Female 33 1878 London Camberwell
        Sidney Yeowell Brother In Law Single Male Counterman Bag Depart 30 1881 London Camberwell
        William Yeowell Brother In Law Single Male Jewellers Assistant 22 1889 London Camberwell
        Nellie Yeowell Sister In Law Single Female Assistant In The Business 33 1878 London Camberwell

64 Beauval Road Dulwich

Comment

Thanks Val, but that is an unrelated family.
          I haven't found her with any of her surviving siblings. Eliza (widowed servant) Edith (married in Wembley) and Gertrude (spinster nurse in Norfolk)
          Bubblebelle x

Comment

thought not but you never know, not found another likely one yet.

Comment

Perhaps she undertook "private" nursing/companion situations and was out of the country in 1911?

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Could also be a suffragette. They chose to not fill in the census as protest.

Comment

Thank you both. I have had a look at the 'immigration' (I can't remember the correct word... too early in the morning for me) and not found anything. Of course I am sure the lists are not complete. Interestingly her sister may have gone out to Madras in 1903, but I am unable to confirm this is her as it is just G. Youell.
                  Thank you kylejustin, I did not know that and it is interesting to even consider this possibility.
                  Bubblebelle x

Comment

bubblebelle, I didn't see anything in the overseas travel either (FMP.) However, the documentation for regular scheduled travel to and from Europe wasn't retained, and it was this sort of travel I was considering, as some of the more wealthy took trips abroad for spas and change of air treatments.
                    If Ada went to visit a relative in Madras, I would have expected there to be two records - an inward as well as an outward. I believe outwards only are on FMP, inbound on Ancestry?? (which I don't have at present.)

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Janet, no it was a G Youell I found going to Madras, she went out with a lot of other 'ladies', so may well not be her, unless they were all nurses, this would need more investigation, but I am pretty sure it's not my Gertrude.
                      I am pretty sure Ada is in Kenilworth in 1913/15, there is a Nurse Youell identified as a district nurse there. As she ended her days in Kenilworth it could well be her, but there is another Nurse Youell who is also a nurse in the Coventry/ Sheffield area, who when I investigated appears to be a different person, without reviewing my notes I believe she may have been a Lucy Youell, who was on the RCN register. I know Ada was the Nurse Youell in Devon as she appears on the 1939 register here and also her will cites that prior to her death in Kenilworth, she lived in Bideford.
                      As you say it is more than possible she could have been abroad. The sisters, Eliza, her daughter, Gertrude and Edith appear pretty tight, often living/staying in the same house. Other than her bequest in her will, she appears to have been a little more isolated/independent.
                      Bubblebelle x

Comment

I wonder if she is on this roll. This was training for District Nurses

Ada is always recorded as a professional nurse and I note that on the 1939 there is a faint record above her dob with the words QE in the next column.

Vera

Comment

She might have been a suffragette and dodged the 1911 (which I realise is not at all helpful, I have a household of fiesty ladies (and gents) who withheld their names and their return was filled in later by a local official with some hazy guesses)
                          Last edited by Jill on the A272; 10-01-18, 18:26. Reason: link for the curious

Comment

Thanks Vera.
                            No I cannot find her on those registers. I had already found an ancestor who was a 'Sister of Mercy' on the RCN register and now I have found my 1st cousin once removed, although her mother who was also a nurse is not there. So I am wondering about these 'professional' nurses. I recall in my student nurse days, EN's who had been upgraded due to their years as nursing assistants. (Actually I'm not sure if I read they are considering this again.' I think it may be time for a bit of.... further reading.
                            Thanks Jill, kylejustin suggested the same and I really like the idea, but it is going to be very hard to prove. Thank you everyone.
                            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                            X