Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would love this confirmed

a relative Frederick James Knight
    Married bigamously 5 Jan 1884 Southwark to an Ellen Bruce.
    She found out the same year and the case went to court.
    As far as I knew no children were involved but ??
    I just had a look at the GRO and there is a Birth for an Alice Frances Knight ,Mothers Maiden Name Bruce ,Sep quarter of 1883 in Caxton which I believe is in Cambridgeshire?
    I have been searching for any info on her after 1883 ,but not had much luck, would you think it highly likely the child was theirs?

Thanks

I've just had a look at the GRO marriage index and I don't see another marriage for a Mr Knight marrying a bride named Bruce 1880 +/-5.

Have you looked to see if you can a bp for Alice? (might give names of parent(s)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I'm looking Val. Did you mean 1885 reg? The Caxton reg refers to a Gamlingay baptism according to Cambs FHS who have it on CD. Unfortunately out of date for Free Reg and Family Search.

Strange she is not coming up on 1891 census. Did Ellen marry again?

Vera

Comment

Had a look on the BNA and according to the articles Ellen met Frederick at the beginning of December 1883 and they were married the following January. If this is correct then the birth in Cambridgeshire would not be for this couple. Interesting reason as to why the bigamy was caused - Frederick and his first wife had separated as when they married they used a brass ring and not gold and therefore thought the marriage was not valid.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thanks everyone, bit of a strange coincidence then, and Vera for that info ah well. I would love to know what happened to Ellen I have her in 1891 in Bermondsey says Single a Boarder, Occupation still a Mat Maker, after that cannot find her.
          And Linda he was a fibber he and his first wife had not separated.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-01-18, 20:09.

Comment

interesting that his legal wife got baptised 13 Aug 1896 as an adult, and died in the March quarter of 1897.

Comment

She was possibly already ill with something such as TB and wanted to sort out her soul before she died. Death certificate might help.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Interesting reason for not thinking he was committing bigamy. Rubbish reason of course....unless he was Jewish, in which case a marriage is not valid unless the groom gives the bride a gold ring of known value!

OC

Comment

Thanks Uncle John, have so many certs I need am trying to be selective.:(
                  OC I dont believe he really thought that, just an excuse.;)

Comment

Working...
                  X