Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mary Rayworth, Fresh Eyes Needed Please.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Rayworth, Fresh Eyes Needed Please.......

Hi, I have posted about my gt gt gt grandmother Mary Rayworth on other sites. She is one of my brickwalls.
    So new year- Happy New Year all- I have decided to try her one more time.
    I have her death certificate (12 Jan 1848) and for what it is worth her age is listed as 52 years.

Her obit in the Lincolnshire Chronicle--At Caunton, on the 12th inst., aged 53, Mary wife of Mr William Antcliff.

She married at Maplebeck 10 Jan 1820 to William Antcliff. Witnesses John & Ann Rayworth and Charles Blyton. Bride resident in Maplebeck, groom in Bathley.

She is NOT the daughter of John Rayworth and Sarah Clerk of Eakring baptised Eakring 4 Aug 1799-- that Mary was buried 2 days after her baptism.
    She is not the daughter of Robert and Mary Rauworth baptised Caunton 18 Jun 1797, she married George Goodwin.
    There is one more baptism, at N Collingham 23 Mar 1800 dau of John Rayworth and Ann Grime. This would be my " choice" as favorite, as parents names are the same as witness names, but that is just me being "desperate". I also cannot find that Mary.
    I am hoping she appears in your tree and you know what happened to her, so I can either write her off or look closer.
    Do you have the Ra(y)worths from N Collingham in your tree?
    Many thanks for reading, sorry its a little long, but I wanted to give all the facts.

Is this the family 1841?

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hi Larkspur

There is also another baptism @ Eakring.. 15th April 1800 Mary d/o John & Ann Raworth [taken from a BMD disc in my possession.]
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

not sure just how well you know the area Larkspur but Collingham ~ Eakring ~ Maplebeck ~ Caunton and Bathley are all within a stones throw from one another. [Maplebeck has a lovely little pub too]
        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
          here we are on Ancestry

1841: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...v=1&ml_rpos=26

Source Citation
          Class: HO107; Piece: 865; Book: 3; Civil Parish: Caunton; County: Nottinghamshire; Enumeration District: 7; Folio: 6; Page: 7; Line: 20; GSU roll: 438908
          Julie

Comment

the one with parents John and Ann seem to spell the surname Raworth,

Mary Raworth
            Baptism Date: 4 Aug 1799
            Baptism Place: Eakring,Nottingham,England
            Father: John Raworth
            Mother: Sarah
            FHL Film Number: 503489, 504091

on Ancestry most people seem to have her with John and Sarah as parents

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              the one with parents John and Ann seem to spell the surname Raworth,

Mary Raworth

on Ancestry most people seem to have her with John and Sarah as parents

That is spelled the same as Sophie Raworth that reads the news.
              Julie

Comment

Many thanks for all the replies, very gratefully received.
                Elaine--Yes, that is the family on the 1841 census.
                Julie--The baptism at Eakring I have seen. I have not traced this child either.
                I know the area very well, I live in it!!
                I have never been too concerned about spelling of a surname, depended on the vicar at the end of the day as most of mine were illiterate. My Antcliffe surname has dozens of different spellings.
                "Mary Raworth
                on Ancestry most people seem to have her with John and Sarah as parents"
                She was buried 6th August 1799 at Eakring.

Comment

Originally posted by larkspur View Post
                  Many thanks for all the replies, very gratefully received.
                  Julie--The baptism at Eakring I have seen. I have not traced this child either.
                  I know the area very well, I live in it!!
                  I know you do but Nottinghamshire is a big county :smilee:

could the Eakring child be one and the same as the one you are looking for? but possibly baptised @ Eakring as well as another place.
                  Julie

Comment

I did wonder if the 1800 baptism at Eakring was the same child baptised at N Collingham. But why this would have happened I have no clue, unless they moved and it was easier to have another baptism than argue about it......
                    I am about 10 miles from Eakring and 14 from Collingham, so right in the middle of the area we were discussing.. Oddly enough the village I live in was where my 9x great grandparents married in 1610 and had their children baptised. So I certainly have come home!
                    Just as an aside there was a John Raworth who married Elizabeth Mompesson in 1689 in Eakring. Elizabeth being the daughter of the Rev. William Mompesson of Eyam and later Eakring.

Comment

Ok Theory time here, please be gentle with me.....
                      John Raworth married Ann Grime at N Collingham 25 Jul 1799.
                      Eight months later a daughter Mary baptised 23 Mar 1800.
                      BUT
                      The family move to Eakring and a baptism of Mary 15 Apr 1800. Then we move to Wellow and a further 2 baptisms George 17 Apr 1803 and Elizabeth 9 Dec 1804. We then move to Norwell and the baptism of Ann 23 Mar 1807. The next child baptised at N.Collingham was William 27 Feb 1810. Followed by John 25 Dec 1812, Richard 26 Feb 1815, and Thomas 25 Oct 1818.
                      John Raworth possibly baptised 13-11-1774 at Eakring the son of John and Elizabeth. John Rowarth married Elizabeth Johnson at Eakring 18-8-1770.
                      John Raworth was sent to trial 21-7-1842 for the manslaughter of his son George a carrier in North Collingham. He was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to transportation. He was on the Prison Hulk Justitia at Woolwich on 8-9-1842, he was said to be industrious sober habits and a shoemaker.

The 1841 census shows a John Raworth with wife Ann and he is an ag lab.
                      An Ann Raworth buried at N.C. 30 Mar 1869 birth around 1778.
                      Shoemaker and ag lab not quite right, but please tell me what you think?

Comment

Edit: (re Shoemaker v Ag Lab)

Have you seen the images of the baptisms for 1812, 1815 and 1818 at N.Collingham? These should show the occupation of the father.
                        Last edited by Katarzyna; 05-01-18, 18:00.
                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

You went down the same path I did Larkspur, nothing in the deaths for Tasmania
                          Elaine

Comment

Are you sure your man actually went to Australia? My 4x gt grandfather was sentenced to 7 years beyond the seas, but in fact never left England. He served six years on a hulk on the Thames and was then pardoned and returned to his village in Norfolk.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

His convict notes have his death in Australia.... St Maria's Island 1843 if I remember right
                              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by larkspur View Post
                                I did wonder if the 1800 baptism at Eakring was the same child baptised at N Collingham. But why this would have happened I have no clue, unless they moved and it was easier to have another baptism than argue about it......
                                I am about 10 miles from Eakring and 14 from Collingham, so right in the middle of the area we were discussing.. Oddly enough the village I live in was where my 9x great grandparents married in 1610 and had their children baptised. So I certainly have come home!
                                Just as an aside there was a John Raworth who married Elizabeth Mompesson in 1689 in Eakring. Elizabeth being the daughter of the Rev. William Mompesson of Eyam and later Eakring.
                                re the baptism twice I think I remember rightly that as they moved out of county they'd have children baptised again so if they needed parish relief they could get it?

and yes you certainly have 'come home' :smilee: I just love that feeling when you land where your forebears lived.

ahh yes Mompessons well! I have seen that information board at Eakring as I have some Beesons baptised there.
                                Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                  Edit: (re Shoemaker v Ag Lab)

Have you seen the images of the baptisms for 1812, 1815 and 1818 at N.Collingham? These should show the occupation of the father.
                                  1815 and 1818 baptisms have the father as a shoemaker. The other baptisms do not have an occupation.

Julie "re the baptism twice I think I remember rightly that as they moved out of county they'd have children baptised again so if they needed parish relief they could get it? " That would make total sense, thank you.

Comment

Interestingly Larkspur my great great grandfather is aThomas Rayworth born 1817 in Birmingham as far as I can tell.
                                    Barb

Comment

Working...
                                    X