Seax Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seax Help

I registered with this, but cannot work out how to search for baptisms, between abt 1799 and 1810 in Woodham Ferrers, can anybody please help either by telling me how its done or find these baps be very grateful
    all should be the children of James and Mary Miller
    Ann abt 1800
    Sheba abt 1801
    John abt 1804
    James abt 1806
    Hannah abt 1809

Dont think there are anymore

On the top banner click on Parish Registers
    Scroll down to bottom and select letter W from drop down box
    Scroll down again and select Woodham Ferrers from D D Box
    Select the church
    Select the parish dates you want to search.
    I cannot get any further as I don't have a subscription but from here you can browse the records.

Edit - you can only view the ones that are on microfiche. The others are to view at the RO.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 24-12-17, 23:01.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

thanks Kat do I have to pay to search or just when I want to look at the record.

Comment

Oh sorry I thought you meant you had registered and paid.
        It is expensive to search but for me it was worth every penny as my Wilkinsons all come from Essex.

You need to go to Subscription Service in the Banner:

1 day (24 hours) - £10.00
        1 week (7 days) - £20.00
        1 month (30 days) - £30.00
        6 months (182 days) - £60.00
        1 year (365 days) - £85.00
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 24-12-17, 23:06.
        Kat

Comment

You can get suscriptions of various lengths- 24hrs, a week, year etc. You then have access to everything online until it runs out. Image quality i find is the issue. It's quite pixelates when you try and zoom in for some parishes. And they aren't indexed.

Comment

Thats dear?, hope for that I find them, it said you dont have to pay to search? so you do have to then? thanks both ,shall wait till tomorrow as I have a headache again, and dont fancy straining my eyes more.

Comment

Quoting from SEAX - the italics are my insertion.
              'The Essex Record Office has an active digitisation programme, and some of the descriptions in Essex Archives Online include high quality digital images of the records themselves. Using these, you can do some of your family history research or other research without needing to see the originals. All of our images are free to view in the ERO Searchroom. Online, you can view images of a few records for free, but for most digitised records – such as parish registers, wills and electoral registers – you need to register and buy a subscription.'

Transcribed baptisms for Woodham Ferrers are available for 1810-1869 on FreeReg - nothing before that I'm afraid.
              Kat

Comment

thanks for that info Kat, what a shame would there be anywhere for Essex Baps for those years?

Comment

FreeReg and The Genealogist have a few Essex baps but not Woodham Ferrers and neither does Family search. FS has Essex Baps but parishes are not named.
                  Kat

Comment

thanks again Kat, so frustrating, that Sheba is quite an unusual name yet can find nothing on her before her marriage in 1831

Comment

Could she have been Christened Bathsheba perhaps but didn't like it, so shortened it? I wondered because I had one of my Ligna Vita ones who married and lived as Vita.
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

It might just be that there are no online records for her. I'm convinced i'll bust my shaw brickwall down once essex gets transcribed.

Comment

Val, SEAX do have the baptism register for the period you want online. SEAX registers are not transcribed/indexed so it would be a case of buying a sub and searching the appropriate register yourself.
                          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Many Essex registers have been transcribed by FreeReg. Problem is as a transcriber you have to subscribe to SEAX, download the registers one page at a time and then transcribe in your own time. This is obviously expensive. I downloaded most Tollesbury records and some for Tillingham while I had the subscription. You would need to be very keen or benevolent to do this or to be a regular visitor to the RO and transcribe from there. I guess not many more will be appearing on FreeReg.
                            Kat

Comment

Thanks everybody, I did wonder that too Chrissie ,but still cannot find anything, I will be quite happy just to find hers, so shall take out a sub .

Comment

well I took out a days sub ,spent a few hours last night and only found 2 of the children, is there any tips I need to know thanks

Comment

What are the images like Val? If they are bad download the pages over the 10 year spread to your computer. You can enhance them then and even put them on here using insert image direct from your computer. You can then search them at leisure.
                                  If they are readable then are there any dates missing? Could they have been baptised in a parish nearby? These are the parishes listed within 4 miles radius:

woodham.JPG

Edit: I would search all these within the time limit you have.
                                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 27-12-17, 15:09.
                                  Kat

Comment

Thanks Kat I wont get much done now time is almost up, and I have a really bad head, might have to try again another time, maybe one of her siblings will lead me somewhere.Thanks for your help, will print that list off.

Comment

did Sheba marry George John Tyler - Christ church,Spitalfields ,Stepney,London ? there is a record for this on
                                      Créez votre arbre généalogique. Ecrivez et partagez votre histoire familiale sur Geneanet.
                                      Last edited by garstonite; 29-12-17, 06:45.
                                      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

yes she did Allan, thanks for looking
                                        I have all info on her after her liason with a Solicitor with whom she had several children ,and her marriage to George.

Comment

Working...
                                        X