Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Dobson of Welford

Hello,

Robert died in 1843 in Welford and married Ann Whitworth in 1813, in Shepshed. Can anyone find anything on his origins?

Thanks,

Adam

In 1841 he was living in Welford, Northants, shown as not born in county, so a Leicestershire birth seems likely.

When he married Ann, his abode was given as Gumley, Leicestershire, but there's no baptism for a Robert Dobson in Gumley. Ann's parish was Shepshed.

According to his burial record, Robert was aged 71 in 1843.

There's a baptism in 1772 at Stretton-en-le-Field, Leics. for a Robert Dobson, parents Isaac and Mary. One of their children, Joseph, married and had half a dozen children in Gumley, so I should think there's a fair chance that Robert was his brother and that baptism is correct.

Isaac Dobson married Mary Elton in 1760; his abode at the time of marriage was Measham, Leics., and hers was nearby Church Gresley, Derbyshire, where they married.

Have you found baptisms for all Robert's children? There are 3 in Leicestershire, for Joseph (Kibworth Beauchamp, 1814, abode Smeeton Westerby, near Gumley), Ann (Shepshed, 1815) and Joseph (Shepshed 1816), but the children living with Robert and Ann in Welford in 1841 (William, Sarah and Sophia) are said to be born out of county, and I can't find baptisms for them in Leics or Northants, although Sophia says in 1841 that she was born in Welford.

Do you have a subscription to Ancestry or FindmyPast? They have a huge amount of Leicestershire parish records, which are invaluable if you have Leicestershire people in your tree. Ancestry have Northants parish records, and both sites have the censuses.

Comment

Thanks for all of that! My ancestor, John, was born in Welford in 1822 and his baptism is available. I'll look into subscriptions for the sites you mentioned.

Comment

You're quite right, sorry; I could have sworn I'd checked the Northants baptisms on Ancestry, but I must have searched on the pre-1812 baptism page by mistake. The 1813-1912 baptism database shows baptisms in Welford for William, John, Sarah and Sophia.

I also made a mistake in my earlier post; it was in 1851 that Sophia said she was born in Welford; the 1841 census doesn't show birthplaces.

Comment

If you decide to get a subscription to Ancestry or FMP, bear in mind that some subscriptions will only give you access to certain records. For example, if you're in the UK, you're best going to www.ancestry.co.uk and/or www.findmypast.co.uk; you can then choose a sub that gives you access to English records only, or worldwide records. Make sure you choose a sub that includes parish records as well as censuses.

There's a special half-price offer on Ancestry at present, which you'll find here:

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Before deciding whether to subscribe, you can get a free 14-day trial subscription. You have to give your credit card details, but if you cancel the trial before the 14 days are up, no money is taken from your card (this applies to Ancestry, and I think also to FMP).

Alternatively, many libraries and local record offices have subscriptions to one of both sites which you can use.

Comment

If you want to go further back with that line, I think Isaac was probably born in Brailsford, Derbyshire, and his wife Elizabeth may have died there (but her age and marital status aren't given in the burial index).

Comment

Thanks for all of that! I'll look into it.

Comment

Working...
              X