Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 Register - Search help please!

With my FMP sub I have searched high and low for

Harry Allton b. 8 Jan 1902 - d. 4 Oct 1974 who was, I think, a policeman.
    and his wife
    May b. 1 May 1897 - d. Q1 1981 doubtless undertaking "unpaid domestic duties"

and their son
    Vincent James, b. 17 Sep 1926 - d. 17 May 1946 (died in Scotland of leukaemia whilst serving in WWII), but was only 13 at the time the Register was taken. On some of Vincent's paperwork relating to his death, his address is given as Polesworth, Staffs, and on others as Attleborough, Nuneaton, Warks.

but can't find hide nor hair of any of them, despite having used all combinations of names, spellings and/or dates etc that I can think of.

There were another couple of children (a son b 1928 who died earlier this month, and a daughter b 1935, d 2005) in the household in 1939, and although I might have expected to see the daughter's name opened by now (her married name was Thornton), I wouldn't expect to see the details of the son b 1928.

Can anyone wave a magic wand, say abracadabra and help me find them for me, please?

Thanks
    STG

Edited to add : Had hoped to use FMP's Live Chat, but it's not been available for the last couple of days.
    Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 19-12-17, 17:27.
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

might this be him
    Quebec
    First name(s) Harry
    Last name Allton
    Gender Male
    Age 22
    Birth year 1902
    Occupation ENGR
    Departure year 1924
    Departure day 24
    Departure month 5
    Departure port Liverpool
    Destination port Quebec
    Destination QUEBEC
    Country Canada
    Destination country Canada
    Ship name Athenia
    Ship official number 146330
    Ship master's first name DAVID
    Ship master's last name TAYLOR
    Shipping line CUNARD
    City LIVERPOOL
    Ship destination port MONTREAL
    Ship destination country CANADA
    Ship square feet 15872
    Ship registered tonnage 8118
    Number of passengers 172
    Record set Passenger Lists Leaving Uk 1890-1960
    Category Travel & migration
    Subcategory Passenger lists

Comment

Don't know. Thought he lived and died in Polesworth/Nuneaton area.

Comment

cannot find anything on them in 1939

Comment

Thanks for trying, Val. Have checked the one who travelled to Quebec now and he's from Nottingham, so a different chap to the one I'm looking for in 1939.

STG

Comment

Do you have Harry Allton on the 1911 census?
            If so can you track his father on the Electoral registers between 1911 and 1939?
            This may lead you closer to where the family is in 1939.
            Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Harry is at home with his widowed father and others in 1911. Father dies in Polesworth in 1920; Harry married May Gilliver in 1925 and their eldest child, Vincent James (named after one of Harry's brothers who was KIA in WWI) was b. 1926. I think Harry and May lived on High St Polesworth when they were first married. I can't find any Polesworth or Nuneaton ERs on line, so that's a line I can't follow at the moment.

STG

Comment

Just had a long Live Chat with FMP and I can request that their records are opened. However that, in itself, presents Good News and Bad News:

Good news - because Harry and May would now be more than 100 years old, I don't need to provide death certificates for them.
                Bad news - I have to give their address, which, as I can't find them is a bit tricky! The best the live chatter could suggest was that I search Polesworth for a closed household of five people and say that's them.

Ho hum.

STG

Comment

Do you have an address from Harry's death certificate? You could do an address search on FMP - he might not have moved - with a bit of luck.
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Don't have Harry's death certificate. He was my g.uncle, but as one of 14 children, to buy all the birth certificates would be a very expensive business. The family moved from Polesworth to Nuneaton at some point, although I think they're more likely to be in Polesworth in 1939 than Nuneaton. Am off to a family funeral next month, so maybe will be able to pin down a bit more detail there.

Thanks
                    STG

Comment

Working...
                    X