John Holmes b.1871 Nottinghamshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Holmes b.1871 Nottinghamshire

I thought I had a thread about this but obviously not!

For more years than I can remember I have wanted to find out more about John, he was my grandfathers brother. I know that he was a cripple and that my gt gran used to carry him to school.

Later in life he worked at the colliery, he was a lamp cleaner but couldn't stand do do his work, he had permission to sit whilst cleaning due to his disability.

anyhow I have looked over the years but there were too many to choose from BUT I then had an idea... with the new index it may help [and it did!] I have his death now in 1924.

there was an inquest so there may be something in the newspapers.. but that will have to wait until the weekend [until I can get to the library!]

not unless someone can have a look in some papers for me. :smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Was it in Annersley, September 1924? If so, I'm sorry to say it was suicide by poisoning. If you'd like the image, pls PM me your email address.

STG
    Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 19-12-17, 17:43.
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
      Was it in Annersley, September 1924? If so, I'm sorry to say it was suicide by poisoning. If you'd like the image, pls PM me your email address.

STG
      yes PM on way x
      Julie

Comment

From studying the Great Central Railway (!) I think Annesley doesn't have an "r" in it.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Railways UJ! My dad was once shed master at Annesley!!
          Anne

Comment

UK / Anne in Carlisle

I prostrate myself at your feet for my incorrect spelling of the name of the village.

Here's a big SORRY :o

STG
            Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Not to worry STG I knew what you meant!.. [and you ought to see some spellings I have seen!] Ansley! for one...lol..

Thank you again for the images, I knew of some of the detail [Poisoning] but it must have been an agonising death.. kind of makes me sad that he felt that was the only option.

Anne WOW.. I have seen some old films of the MPD and it looked massive!
              Julie

Comment

Annesley was a steam shed when Dad was there, Julie! We were there in the early 1950s.
                Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                  Annesley was a steam shed when Dad was there, Julie! We were there in the early 1950s.
                  Anne
                  yes that's when I have seen videos/films of.... I suspect that it is the one that is now underneath a spoil heap!
                  Julie

Comment

Ah, how things change Fond memories!
                    Anne

Comment

Ah, how things change Fond memories!
                      Anne
                      don't suppose you'd recognise the place now! any place you can remember?
                      Julie

Comment

Not really, I was only 5 and we lived in Hucknall. That's where I started school but we moved before I was 7 .... railway life, always on the move!
                        Dad worked on Saturday mornings and used to take me to the shed with him. The smell of hot oil, steam and coal dust takes me straight back there!
                        Anne

Comment

Not really, I was only 5 and we lived in Hucknall. That's where I started school but we moved before I was 7 .... railway life, always on the move!
                          Dad worked on Saturday mornings and used to take me to the shed with him. The smell of hot oil, steam and coal dust takes me straight back there!
                          Anne
                          ahh would that be Annie Holgate then? or Spring Street?
                          Julie

Comment

Mmmm! Do you know I can't remember the name of the school. We lived right up Long Hill Rise on the left and I walked across the field at the back to school. Is that still there?

One childhood memory I have is very clear but later, for years, I thought it must have been a dream. I was in the garden and saw a man on a flying 'thing' above me. Only many years later did I visit an Air Museum and saw the 'thing' which of course was a flying bedstead, the experimental prototype for the Harrier jump jet.

You are raking my memories for me!
                            Anne

Comment

Mmmm! Do you know I can't remember the name of the school. We lived right up Long Hill Rise on the left and I walked across the field at the back to school. Is that still there?

One childhood memory I have is very clear but later, for years, I thought it must have been a dream. I was in the garden and saw a man on a flying 'thing' above me. Only many years later did I visit an Air Museum and saw the 'thing' which of course was a flying bedstead, the experimental prototype for the Harrier jump jet.

You are raking my memories for me!
                              Anne
                              ohhh you lived on the stream side then!.. it'd be Annie Holgate Junior School or infants then.. the schools were demolished last year/year before and a new school built in the same area but down the bottom of the field nearest to High Leys. [Picture the past has some photos]
                              Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie!
                                Anne

Comment

Of course there are many railway books about the Great Central Railway and its successors. It featured in the life of Gerard Fiennes, who ended up as General Manager of the Eastern Region of British Railways, before Barbara Castle sacked him. His autobiography is "I Tried to Run a Railway", which sums up his life quite well. Nottingham Victoria station got swallowed up by the Victoria shopping centre.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                    Of course there are many railway books about the Great Central Railway and its successors. It featured in the life of Gerard Fiennes, who ended up as General Manager of the Eastern Region of British Railways, before Barbara Castle sacked him. His autobiography is "I Tried to Run a Railway", which sums up his life quite well. Nottingham Victoria station got swallowed up by the Victoria shopping centre.
                                    That is interesting UJ and of course there still are 'markers' for Victoria Station [if you know where to look!] I don't remember any of it and by the time I was old enough to go into Nottingham with my Mum it was already a shopping centre with a 'water curtain' and Emetts water clock [The Aqua Horological Tintinnabulator] and of course Emett 'invented' the inventions in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
                                    Julie

Comment

Oh dear. I can remember going on my holidays to Mablethorpe from Victoria Train Station.
                                      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

When I first started work in the early 60s I was based for a time in Guildford and travelled home to Rotherham every so often. I used to buy a "circular tour" ticket - out on Friday via Reading and the Great Central to Rotherham Central, back on Sunday from Sheffield via St Pancras and Waterloo. Sad really!

Comment

Working...
                                        X