A Challenge: The Parents of James Coverley b. 1770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Challenge: The Parents of James Coverley b. 1770

I'm trying to assist a Coverly descendant identify the parents of James Coverly, 1770. We connected when he started a thread on WikiTree:

Here's James' baptism, parents Richard & Elizabeth, b. St Sepulchre, Holborn:
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Most trees on Ancestry have the father, Richard Coverly as born in 1755, from this baptism:
    Name Richard Coverly
    Gender Male
    Record Type Christening
    Baptism Date 26 Oct 1755 <Record also records his DOB - 2 Oct>
    Baptism Place St Giles, Cripplegate City of London, London, England
    Father Richard Coverly
    Mother Sarah Coverly

I am not convinced of this - Richard would be approx. 15 yo at the birth of James. And there's a likely first child born to Richard & Elizabeth
    Name Thomas Coverly
    Gender Male
    Christening Date 26 Oct 1768
    Christening Date (Original) 26 OCT 1768
    Christening Place ST GILES CRIPPLEGATE,LONDON,LONDON,ENGLAND
    Father's Name Richard Coverly
    Mother's Name Elizabeth

If indeed this is the same couple, then Richard would have been ~13 at Thomas' birth.

Some are saying this is the marriage of Richard & Elizabeth - after the fact in 1791 (I have one of these in my tree, so I'm not saying it's not a possibility)
    Name Elizabeth Burton <WIDOW>
    Gender Female
    Record Type Marriage
    Marriage Date 15 Aug 1791
    Marriage Place St Luke, Finsbury Islington, England
    Spouse Richard Coverly <WIDOWER>

So, my questions are:
    ** When was Richard Coverly born, and who were his parents?

** Who is Elizabeth?
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 16-12-17, 17:45.

Ow. 98 reads and no responses.

Can anyone tell me if they looked in FMP and found nothing? I think that's the only place I haven't looked.

Comment

FMP:
      Richard Coverey bapt London 19 feb 1720 s of Richard & Ann [transcript, no parish given]
      Richard Coverley bapt Wilburton, Cambridgeshire 5 Jul 1741 s of Thos & Mary [transcript]
      Richard Coverley bapt London 25 Mar 1753 s of Richard & Sarah [transcript, no parish given]

Comment

Thanks, Jill -
        I think I can eliminate the first and the third -
        Richard 1753 is born in the same parish as Richard b. Oct 1755. Also there is a death of Richard Coverley in the same parish, a child, in 1755, just a few months before the one in born in Oct. I think the child baptized in 1753 died in 1755, and the parents used the same given name.

Richard 1720 seems a bit old (but of course, not impossible). I want to say I traced him, but I will double check.

Can someone take a guess on Richard 1741? How likely is he to move to London from Wilburton? I don't even know where to begin to try to figure that one out.

Comment

Working...
        X