Margaret van Etten, born 1796 in New York or New Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margaret van Etten, born 1796 in New York or New Jersey

I am trying to find out more about my gggrandmother, Margaret van Etten who was born in New York or New Jersey in 1796. I know that she lived in Phelps, Ontario, New York from at least as early as 1817 and moved to Michigan sometime after 1860. In 1870 she was living with her daughter, Sarah in Novi, Oakland, Michigan. I do not know exactly where she was born, who her parents were, when or where she died, or where she was buried. Her husband was Coonrod G Huffman 1787-1832
    His grave is in Phelps.
    She had four children:
    Sarah Ann Huffman 1818-1832
    Mary Ann Huffman 1827-1905
    Charles Huffman 1827?-1881
    Nelen M. (Wilsey?) 1835-1914
    In 2014 when I started my research there were two other threads about this project.

For those who think they might be able to help

Conrad Huffman and Margaret van Etten ca. 1800

Margaret van Etten Hoffman b. abt 1796

Comment

I confess I have not gone thru the many pages of the previous threads.

Was it suggested that you try to get a hold of a copy of this book?
      Family history and genealogical information about the descendants of Jacob Jansen Van Etten and Annetje Arians. Jacob was born ca. 1634 in The Netherlands. He was the son of Johannes Marinessen and Wilhelmina Hoannes Marinessen. Jacob immigrated to America and married Annetje Arians 11 January 1665 in Kingston, Ulster Co., New York. They lived in Esopus, New York. Descendants lived in Illinois, New York, California and elsewhere.

"Family history and genealogical information about the descendants of Jacob Jansen Van Etten and Annetje Arians. Jacob was born ca. 1634 in The Netherlands. He was the son of Johannes Marinessen and Wilhelmina Hoannes Marinessen. Jacob immigrated to America and married Annetje Arians 11 January 1665 in Kingston, Ulster Co., New York. They lived in Esopus, New York. Descendants lived in Illinois, New York, California and elsewhere"
      Not sure those are your peeps, but maybe, could be? Are you near a family history center?
      It can be viewed online if you are at an FHC:

Jacob seems to be in WikiTree, but that doesn't mean that all known descendants have been added to the tree (even if documented in a book).
      Is this your ancestor? Compare DNA and explore genealogy for Jacob (Jansen) van Etten born bef. 1634 Etten, Brabant, Nederland died 1693 Hurley, Ulster, Province of New York including ancestors + descendants + 5 photos + 10 genealogist comments + questions + DNA connections + more in the free family tree community.
      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 12-12-17, 01:12.

Comment

I have spent countless hours trying to search through all the descendants of Jacob Jansen but have not succeeded in finding Margaret. In fact I made a separate tree for this purpose on ancestry.com. I am pretty sure that she must be related to him but there is no proof. There are no family history centers in The Netherlands that I know of. I will check out the other leads. Thanks.

I noticed that I misspelled the name of Margaret's youngest daughter. It should be Helen not Nelen. I would also like to say that Charles Huffman is my ggrandfather.
        Last edited by Daniel; 12-12-17, 08:08.

Comment

A bit more about my trees on ancestry.com. The main one is called the "Strang Family Tree". It includes known ancesters and relatives. The "Van Etten/Strang" tree includes a lot of the descendants of Jacob Jansen and my family starting with Margaret and Coonrod. There is also a third tree called the "Hoffman/Strang Family Tree". I worked backwards from those buried in the same graveyard as Coonrod in Phelps with the family names of Huffman or Hoffman. None seem to be related to him. There is, however, a connection through guardianship between William Huffman of Heemskerk and a son of Mary Ann Huffman, one of the daughters of Margaret and Coonrod. His name was William Hoffman Bostwick.
          Last edited by Daniel; 12-12-17, 10:44.

Comment

Working...
          X