Germany to England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany to England

I am trying to find when my Great Grandfather, came here from Germany, and the route he would have taken.
    He arrived between 1871 and 1877

When doing some research for Wallaby, I discovered that a lot of Jews from Germany and Eastern European countries sailed across the North Sea from northern Germany or Holland to Hull. On arrival at the docks, they were taken by rail into the city centre and then marched off to another station (different line and different railway company) where they boarded trains stopping at Leeds, Manchester and then Liverpool (for boats to America.) A lot alighted and settled in Leeds or Manchester, where there were growing Jewish communities. (I assume non-Jews could also use the same method of travelling to the UK.) Once an emigrant had arrived, presumably some would wend their way to the south, using the railways. This would have been at the height of rail travel, when practically every small town (and village en route) had a railway station.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 11-12-17, 20:56.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

thanks for that Janet, the first I can find him is in 1877 Bethnal Green when he married ,but not having any luck finding his sailing.

Comment

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1068 - Hamburg passenger lists (in German) Need world sub to view.
        I found mine on there - Hamburg to Grimsby on SS Bury - they then travelled on to Canada via Liverpool.

You can also browse the surname index - again you need world sub
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

In general, there are only passenger lists for intercontinental journeys eg Liverpool to New York, Hamburg to Quebec. An exception seems to be for people booked to transit the UK. So Hamburg – Hull, with a connection from Liverpool on somewhere else does have lists, but for the average person just travelling within Europe, say from Antwerp to Dover or The Hook of Holland to Harwich there are no passenger lists.

If he acquired British nationality, and the file still exists, you might get his date and place of arrival from that, but otherwise there may be no record. Try National Archives for naturalisation files.
          Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Sometimes you can strike lucky. I found this extra list of Aliens who had arrived in England from Europe but were travelling on to Quebec from Liverpool on the SS Vedic. It shows that they arrived at Harwich on SS St George (operated by GER - Harwich /Hook of Holland)

1921 Horvath 's Liverpool to Quebec.jpg
            Kat

Comment

thanks for that advice and links Kat I have just found one that could be him, anybody agree
              as he does not appear on the 1871 census in England , and all records say he was born abt 1852.
              Seems a Tischler is a Carpenter ,his Father was a Turner, so maybe he worked with wood also , although here maybe he could not get that kind of work, as he was a Musician and a Skin Dyer.
              Adam Muller.JPG

Comment

Ein Tisch is German for a door, so sounds feasible.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Ummm, Looks like his ticket was Hamburg - New York. Is there an image? Could be he stayed here instead of making the forward journey. Adam Muller however is a very common name :(
                  Kat

Comment

Ein Tisch is German for a table, so sounds feasible.
                    I know of a German family who came over in the 1850's and anglicised their surname to Bell. In 1861 the teenage son (John Bell - very Germanic!)was recorded as street singer or street musician (can't remember exactly) and then later on as a labourer in various trades.
                    I guess you did whatever you could to earn a living.

Jay
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 12-12-17, 14:16.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Sorry - somehow I managed to repeat the previous post and have now deleted.
                      ETA tisch is TABLE, it is TUR which is door. (It's about 55 years since I did German at school, so please make allowances!)

Jay
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 12-12-17, 14:21.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

thanks everyone if only I could find a bap which says his Fathers occupation, would help.

Comment

Hi Jay,

I must correct you - Tisch is the German word for a table. The German word for a door is "Tür".

Here endeth your German lesson!!!!!!!!

Brian

Comment

Thanks for that Brian ,if thats right what would his occupation of Tischler have been in English then

Comment

Originally posted by EquilibriumYaw View Post
                              Hi Jay,

I must correct you - Tisch is the German word for a table. The German word for a door is "Tür".

Here endeth your German lesson!!!!!!!!

Brian
                              Thanks Brian. I'd already "confessed" - see post 11:D

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                              X